How much would you pay this CRX DX? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-01-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
Registered Member

How much would you pay this CRX DX?

Hello my fellow gas savers!!,

I need a quick opinion on how much you would pay for this 1988 CRX DX?

This car has 190k on the motor and chassis, original engine and tranny. It has new head on it from dover machine shop in Jacksonville florida. It has Prelude seats in it no rips, no tears, lumbar support, and they feel like new, super comfortable. Has new timing belt, water pump, CV Joints are in good shape, Original R-12 A/C blows cold. It comes with JDM Spec door panels, they are not installed, on ebay these sell for 149.99 a piece 100+ shipping from Japan. I am positive these will sell for 200+ + shipping in the USA, to a USA Buyer where shipping is more reasonable. It also comes with a extra set of off the wall tires with 90+% tread on them.

The bads of the car are it needs a paint job and minor body work where it has parking lot dings. All the rubber is sun dulled from the Florida sun. If it received a nice detail and the rims were painted as well as the car it would be a nice car. It has a decent stereo in it, Pioneer deck and front and rear speakers. The rear shocks in the hatch dont work so you have to hold it up with your hand. The engine runs like a top and no problems and looks like new, the a/c blows nice and cold in the florida weather, interior is in pretty good shape no cracks in the dashboard and the a/c panel is not cracked.

How much do you think its worth?

Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Registered Member

pic

heres a link to a pic of the car..

http://flickr.com/photos/54718959@N0...13800/sizes/l/

Old 06-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

I would have paid $1500 for it in the shape you describe..

Depending on how much you drive it could save that much in gas pretty fast.

89 Yamaha FZR400 Crotch rocket, semi naked with only the bikini fairing, no lowers, 60 plus mpg

87 Ranger 2.3 5spd.. Does not currently run..
fumesucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
Registered Member

Maybe CRX's in CA go for more, but if you could get it for $1500 I'd say it is a steal. Here, I think it could be worth at least $2000
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

I've seen CRX's around me that are rusting pieces of rolling crap go for $2,000.

Here is one a local use car dealer has for $4,600 with over 100K miles on it.

91 CRX

Here is an 89 CRX that has had some slight engine modification work done and a body kit offered for $6,500.

89 CRX
GasSavers_ALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmad View Post
Maybe CRX's in CA go for more, but if you could get it for $1500 I'd say it is a steal. Here, I think it could be worth at least $2000

I'm notoriously cheap.. I paid $400 for a 93 Suzuki Swift GT 1.3 in decent running shape a little over a year ago.

And yeah, car prices vary a good bit depending on where you are.

89 Yamaha FZR400 Crotch rocket, semi naked with only the bikini fairing, no lowers, 60 plus mpg

87 Ranger 2.3 5spd.. Does not currently run..
fumesucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #7
Registered Member

http://flickr.com/photos/54718959@N0...13800/sizes/l/

I had those wheels on my first honda civic in high school!
gripforce light flywheel
dc 4-1 header
Was getting about 30mpg (40%HW 60%pizza delivery city driving) - Up to 33.89 w 40psi tire pressure!
meangreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumesucker View Post
I'm notoriously cheap.. I paid $400 for a 93 Suzuki Swift GT 1.3 in decent running shape a little over a year ago.

And yeah, car prices vary a good bit depending on where you are.
Not that cheap. My dad paid $200 for a '94 Geo Metro in good running condition late last year. He put $200 more in it to fix a few problems with it, but aside from that it is in great shape. It has really sharp metallic green paint. Everyone asks about it. The odometer reads 183,000, but the engine was rebuilt 40k ago. He averages 47 mpg.

We're fixing up an 88 model Festiva with an engine that cost $75 and was also recently rebuilt.

There's no way in hell I'd pay $1500 for that car. My Mitsubishi cost less than $1500 after we got it running smoothly, and it only had 67,000 miles. I easily get 40 mpg on the highway if I drive around 60.

I thought the point of buying fuel efficient cars was to save money. How can people think about investing $5,000 into a car 2 decades old? You would be better off investing in a new Civic hybrid.

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:13 AM   #9
Registered Member

if you're into the whole "tuner" scene, $1500 might be a good deal. the demand for these hondas in Florida is pretty high. but for just saving gas/money, there's better choices out there. but hey, if you really like CRXs, I think its worth it.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:38 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAteam View Post
if you're into the whole "tuner" scene, $1500 might be a good deal. the demand for these hondas in Florida is pretty high. but for just saving gas/money, there's better choices out there. but hey, if you really like CRXs, I think its worth it.
A clean body like that is really worth more money outside of Florida. The places where cars don't typically rust (Florida, California, Texas, Arizona etc.) generally don't demand as high a price as a rust free car would get in the Midwest or northeast. I've noticed cars like this in FL tend to sell for less (unless they are extremely clean and stock) because people don't always want to travel all the way to Florida to get one.

I don't know what other cars out there are better choices. Its roomier and handles better than a metro, and gets about the same mileage, though with two less seats. The only thing that is a "better deal" in my mind would be if you could get a VX for less.

I'd pay between $2000-2500 for it. But on eBay clean ones are selling for upwards of $5K, although the DX seems to bring less than an HF or Si.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote