how often do you check your tire pressure? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Just had my tire changed and after about 4 or 5 months since I inflated to 60PSI tires were still at 60. Tire change guy was like "60 PSI is way too high, way too high." Said will wear out the tire very quickly and he was right--tire was bald. Now I'm at 35.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
Registered Member

Usually I check mines once a month, but for winters, once a week.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Just had my tire changed and after about 4 or 5 months since I inflated to 60PSI tires were still at 60. Tire change guy was like "60 PSI is way too high, way too high." Said will wear out the tire very quickly and he was right--tire was bald. Now I'm at 35.
Was it even wear or center wear?
Old 11-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #14
Registered Member

It was more on the outer edge but it was really worn all over. Very little tread left anywhere on the tire. It had been on the drive wheel for about a year.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
Registered Member

I check mine about once a month on average. When colder weather sets in though, I check them several times and always have to add some due to the cold weather. I always check them when they are cold before driving anywhere. They increase in pressure after they heat up when driving. I carry a portable air pump and gauge in both vehicles.

Dave
Old 11-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
It was more on the outer edge but it was really worn all over. Very little tread left anywhere on the tire. It had been on the drive wheel for about a year.
This is by far the opposite of what everyone always says, and what one might logically expect. It's a puzzle.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
This is by far the opposite of what everyone always says, and what one might logically expect. It's a puzzle.
This can happen. First it was run underinflated wearing down the outside tread sections. Then it was run overinflated, thereby polishing off the center tread.........result=a dangerous tire with no tread.......... Dangerous to the driver and also others on the road. It needs to be changed asap for everyone's safety......Tires and brakes. Two things not to skimp on or abuse. Sorry but I am a stickler for driving safety. I can't help it. It is just the way I am.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasUser View Post
This can happen. First it was run underinflated wearing down the outside tread sections. Then it was run overinflated, thereby polishing off the center tread.........result=a dangerous tire with no tread.......... Dangerous to the driver and also others on the road. It needs to be changed asap for everyone's safety......Tires and brakes. Two things not to skimp on or abuse. Sorry but I am a stickler for driving safety. I can't help it. It is just the way I am.
Many people are. The tire went bye bye earlier today for a very expensive $75 replacement. I don't know that it was ever driven underinflated. I don't know why you made that assumption. Right before the car was sold to me the tire was put on. I then put the tire pressure to 45. Then a little while later I upped it to 50-52. Then I think in the spring I upped them to 60. I think it was around June I noticed they were getting bald. Then in maybe August or September I had the tires rotated. Now all my tires are at 35 PSI and the car brakes better now. If gas stays cheap I may leave them at 35. Depends how bad I feel like the rolling resistance is on the highway. I don't think I'll go above 50 ever again tho. Probably go up to 45 again.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #19
Registered Member

Just go with 35 PSI.

I went from 32PSI to 35PSI and made a 5 mpg improvement ( 28mpg to 33mpg).
Old 11-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somedude View Post
Just go with 35 PSI.

I went from 32PSI to 35PSI and made a 5 mpg improvement ( 28mpg to 33mpg).
how many tanks did you go through to determine that?