how often do you check your tire pressure? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #21
Registered Member

I check mine about every two months and keep them at 60 psi. (They are rated for 51psi.)

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
how many tanks did you go through to determine that?

I went through one tank to determine that.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I think if the contact patch is too small then less rubber is touching the road and the rubber that is touching gets ripped off faster under heavy loads than it would if more of the tire was touching the ground. Like maybe you are exceeding the strength of the rubber material and it just tears off.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #24
FE nut

I check my tires a few times a month. I have run them at 80psi or above on my Prius since September of 2007 with no uneven wear patterns with the exception of one tire. Before I inflated to the higher pressure, that tire had hit a very nasty chuck hole. It made that particular tire wear evenly but much faster and was down to the wear bars while the other three looked to have close to 50% of their tread left. I have since replaced all 4 since winter is coming. The tires were the stock Integrity rated at 44 psi.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Many people are. The tire went bye bye earlier today for a very expensive $75 replacement. I don't know that it was ever driven underinflated. I don't know why you made that assumption. Right before the car was sold to me the tire was put on. I then put the tire pressure to 45. Then a little while later I upped it to 50-52. Then I think in the spring I upped them to 60. I think it was around June I noticed they were getting bald. Then in maybe August or September I had the tires rotated. Now all my tires are at 35 PSI and the car brakes better now. If gas stays cheap I may leave them at 35. Depends how bad I feel like the rolling resistance is on the highway. I don't think I'll go above 50 ever again tho. Probably go up to 45 again.
Sounds more like an alignment issue to me.

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #26
Registered Member

Usually check tires about once a month or so. Noticed this time that they read about 36psi instead of 42...but it was about 60 degrees outside when I checked, last time it was probably about 100 degrees. Spare was also down by a few psi, which is not normal.

I've heard that you lose about 1psi for every 10 degrees colder temp...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
usually whenever I think of it. the 3-season tires I had on the cressida I have to check because one has a non-repairable puncture (right on the edge of the tread) and they're run-flat 55 sidewalls so underinflation it isn't visible till about 0 psi. 50 psi in run-flats, talk about a rock hard tire :-p

The truck I don't have to check as often because it's got normal size tires on it so I can see if one drops to 30 psi.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
Usually check tires about once a month or so. Noticed this time that they read about 36psi instead of 42...but it was about 60 degrees outside when I checked, last time it was probably about 100 degrees. Spare was also down by a few psi, which is not normal.

I've heard that you lose about 1psi for every 10 degrees colder temp...
Exactly what I observed on my tires JB. They were set at 40 and dropped to 35 with almost the same temperature differentials.

I guess it would be the opposite in spring with rising temperatures.

I know there is a significant difference in mileage between 35 and 43 PSI, the pressure I have now.

regards
gary