**how Old Are Your Tires?!!** Please Watch!! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
hmm well tires on my truck are probably 8 years old(stock tires lol) only used in the winter for the last 5 years)

tires on the chevette were prolly 10+ years old before i repalced em.(only cuz they were bald)

our trailer tires are prolly 15+ years old
Keep an eye on those trailer tires.

People often forget to check the pressure and wear on their trailer's tires, and it can lead to big problems.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #12
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Cliff notes: http://www.safetyresearch.net/tires.htm

Basically, don't install "new" tires that have sat on the shelf for 6 years or more, because they supposedly become dangerous.

thankyou very much!

i dont know if i worry about it too much. ive had blowouts where my sidewall was completely gone by the time i stopped going 80 before (in my younger and probably dumber years) and i could safely pull and change the tire. but even then i would never push any tire too hard on public roads where tire failure would cause a crash.

then again it was usually the rear tire and my rear sway bar was so stiff that even though the sidewall was completely gone the rim never touched the ground.

anyway, whats the big deal about putting the psi to the max on older tires? does the video say that too much tire pressure will cause a premature blowout or something?

anyway, nothing will ever convince me to back down on tire pressure, all my blowouts were at pretty low pressure, often from forgetting to pump it back up a couple weeks after an auto-x

Old 07-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #13
Registered Member

I bought them 6 months after they were made. I got lucky!
KARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
Registered Member

Then can donut spares last longer than 6 years, if they have not been unduly exposed to UV?
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveX82 View Post
Running around on 8 year old tires is FAR less of an issue than all the ignorant SUV drivers driving at 80mph with a trailer in 100? weather with 15psi in their tires. Overheating from underinflation and overloading causes almost all tread separations.
Wasn't it Ford who recommended only 24psi in their SUV tires, so it would ride soft, like a car?????
Old 07-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
anyway, whats the big deal about putting the psi to the max on older tires? does the video say that too much tire pressure will cause a premature blowout or something?
I didn't have the patience to sit through the whole video, but I jumped through it skipping a couple seconds at a time and they did not mention inflation. I googled for a transcript but didn't find anything about inflation either.

Quote:
anyway, nothing will ever convince me to back down on tire pressure, all my blowouts were at pretty low pressure, often from forgetting to pump it back up a couple weeks after an auto-x
I thought most auto-xers add pressure for events.

After all the experience I have with tire pressure (as described in my tire pressure post), I too can't be swayed from running increased pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swng View Post
Then can donut spares last longer than 6 years, if they have not been unduly exposed to UV?
Despite what the tire salesman and the alarmist sensationalist media says, your donut is most likely fine unless it has visible defects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurp812 View Post
Wasn't it Ford who recommended only 24psi in their SUV tires, so it would ride soft, like a car?????
Yes, and it's still industry standard practice today, the marketing department (who wants low pressure to sell cars on a soft ride) just has to compromise more with the legal and engineering departments (who want higher pressure).
Old 07-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #17
Registered Member

ya the spares dont deteriorate lol. mostly cuz they never see sunlight. it is true UV rays do dry rot rubber so on your campers/trailers put a piece of plywood covering the tire if they are in the sun.

heck i used my chevettes spare tire (28 years old mind you) last fall, first time it was ever used :P
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #18
Registered Member

Some pictures, got it painted Saturday.

regards
gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02447.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1183   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02448.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1184   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02449.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1185   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02450.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1186   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02452.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1187  

Old 07-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #19
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I thought most auto-xers add pressure for events.

After all the experience I have with tire pressure (as described in my tire pressure post), I too can't be swayed from running increased pressure.
i drop the rear pressure a good amount so that the sidewall flexes enough to let the car to rotate when i throw it hard into tighter turns. but yea, when i chalk the front tires i end up having the pressure at the maximum anyway.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Hmm, mine are pushing 3years I guess, but I need to get new rears. My current setup is 245/45/17 in the front and 275/40/17 in the rear. Dumb, cant rotate. The fronts are fine but the rears are starting to get alittle low.

I'm thinking about rotating the 245's to the rear and then getting 235 or 245 up front.