**how Old Are Your Tires?!!** Please Watch!! - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
ya the spares dont deteriorate lol. mostly cuz they never see sunlight. it is true UV rays do dry rot rubber so on your campers/trailers put a piece of plywood covering the tire if they are in the sun.

heck i used my chevettes spare tire (28 years old mind you) last fall, first time it was ever used :P
Dunno about that...had a spare in the back of my Town Car...full size, used. Probably around 20 years old (like the car was then). Looked really nice, no cracking, nothing. Tread still really good. Had a tire which was losing its steel belt, so I put on the spare. Checked air and drove off. 20 miles down the freeway it blew out. Got some brand new tires for the car, they didn't save my best old one for the spare, just left the old one with the bad tread. Two days later, heard a BANG in the trunk...that tire blew!

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Some pictures, got it painted Saturday.

regards
gary
Looks very nice. I like the woods around your house also!

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:49 AM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
Dunno about that...had a spare in the back of my Town Car...full size, used. Probably around 20 years old (like the car was then). Looked really nice, no cracking, nothing. Tread still really good. Had a tire which was loosing its steel belt, so I put on the spare. Checked air and drove off. 20 miles down the freeway it blew out. Got some brand new tires for the car, they didn't save my best old one for the spare, just left the old one with the bad tread. Two days later, heard a BANG in the trunk...that tire blew!
Thank you. All the fear-mongering goes around with vague abstract theories presented by laymen and backed up by little (if any) science, but for once someone has presented an actual observed data point.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:40 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Thank you. All the fear-mongering goes around with vague abstract theories presented by laymen and backed up by little (if any) science, but for once someone has presented an actual observed data point.
fear-mongering with vague abstract theories from laymen. Wow. I never thought I was in the presence of such intellectuals. Anyway, I didnt understand OVER inflating to be the practice of inflating to the max sidewall pressure!!! I figured OVER inflating would be the practice of inflating OVER the max sidewall pressure. some of you on this forum really think a lot/full of yourselves. so much, in fact, you overlook the intent of the laymen of being sincerely helpful. I have a fealing you've been addressed as a drama queen before. Or maybe just a queen. Anyway, I hope your snide little coments make you feel better behind your keyboar, chump.

2001 Chevy S10 2.2 5 spd man
85,000 Miles
28-34 MPG with HHO
GasSavers_Ven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:03 AM   #25
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ven View Post
fear-mongering with vague abstract theories from laymen. Wow. I never thought I was in the presence of such intellectuals. Anyway, I didnt understand OVER inflating to be the practice of inflating to the max sidewall pressure!!! I figured OVER inflating would be the practice of inflating OVER the max sidewall pressure. some of you on this forum really think a lot/full of yourselves. so much, in fact, you overlook the intent of the laymen of being sincerely helpful. I have a fealing you've been addressed as a drama queen before. Or maybe just a queen. Anyway, I hope your snide little coments make you feel better behind your keyboar, chump.
Technically over inflating is inflating over what the manufacturer recommends for the vehicle. The tire sidewall may read "Up to 35 PSI", but the owners manual may say that the tires should be inflated to 28 PSI. If you inflate to 35 you are technically over inflating by 7 PSI. On The Beast my tires say max 35 PSI cold. I'm never at an air pump when the tires are cold. I inflate my tires to 40 PSI hot, and they have worn perfectly even over the past 40,000 miles. I say do what works best for you and your vehicle. It is not necessary to resort to name calling to get your point across.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:08 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Simmer down there. He was actually complimenting JoeBob for providing useful, factual information instead of the nonsense that the "fear-mongering" journalists (ie, the "laymen") spread throughout the media. These people in the media are the ones who lack any real knowledge about how tires fail, and instead sit around brainstorming theories that can cause the most ruckus.

theholycow hit the nail on the head.
SteveX82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #27
Registered Member

so sorry

85,000 Miles
28-34 MPG with HHO
Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #28
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
ease up man, he wasnt bashing you. he was talking about the media. i still appreciate you bringing this up as the age of a tire definitely matters. its important to start a thread where other ideas and sources are brought to the table to seek out a better mental model of how things are.

i agree with you, people still should very carefully consider inflating their tire pressure over what the tire company recommends as a max.

by over-inflating i meant pressure over what the car manufacturor recommends not sidewall. going over what the tire manufacturor recommends as a maximum is where there can be trouble.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #29
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
spare tires deteriorate identically to regular tires.... Actually from what I've seen in my time working at a shop that does primarily tires, age has less to do with it than how the tires were treated. My 22 year old compact spare holds 60 psi just fine. a few weeks ago I had to tell some crazy lady that she needed new tires despite them being 2 years old and having lots of tread because the previous owner tire-shined them daily and the sidewalls were flaking off in sheets. which leads me to my next point...

DO NOT USE TIRE-SHINE/WET/WHATEVER ON YOUR TIRES. 9 products out of 10 will eat the sidewall for lunch. It's pretty clear when the outside sidewall is shiny clean but coming off in dryrotted sheets when the tread and inner sidewall are fine.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I appologize for going off. Hope I didn't make too much of an *** of myself.

85,000 Miles
28-34 MPG with HHO