How to kill your battery or P&G at night... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 313
Country: United States
I'm gonna get the factory job that costs $22 for the heater... and about $400 stealer installed unless my independent-mech can do it much cheaper and we can get the proper install procedure.

Don't scoff at snow pants... I could motorcycle all winter long (max exposure time would be 45 minutes) in my youth in Ontario by wearing an old down filled set of air force flight pants.

If you want to / need to get extreme with the frigid P&G stuff you may want to think about a breathing device that will allow you to expel your moist warm breath somewhere other than near an ice cold windshield.
__________________

__________________
2TonJellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #12
DRW
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 615
Country: United States
I replaced all the running lights on my car with LEDs, the headlights are still stock. It saved about 65 watts while improving visibility slightly. Only cost about $45 from superbrightleds.com
__________________

__________________
Dave W.
DRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
 
oneinchsidehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 165
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW View Post
I replaced all the running lights on my car with LEDs, the headlights are still stock. It saved about 65 watts while improving visibility slightly. Only cost about $45 from superbrightleds.com
65w is a big drop! Are LED headlight still just vaporware?
__________________
Mike
_______________________________________________

"If you want to save gas I suggest you permanently remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. That seems to help." -Oscar Halverson

oneinchsidehop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #14
*shrug*
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,195
Country: United States
65 watts, wow...perhaps I will finally do this!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #15
DRW
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 615
Country: United States
Yeah, it's nice. The 65w savings also includes replacing the license plate lights and removing two rear sidemarker lights. When the brakes are on, I get an additional 90w savings which is especially helpfull since I typically have the engine off when using the brakes.
They have LED daytime running lights, but they're not as bright at real headlights used for night driving. IIRC the brightest LED is equal to a 25w headlight.
__________________
Dave W.
DRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
 
oneinchsidehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 165
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TonJellyBean View Post
I'm gonna get the factory job that costs $22 for the heater... and about $400 stealer installed unless my independent-mech can do it much cheaper and we can get the proper install procedure.

Don't scoff at snow pants... I could motorcycle all winter long (max exposure time would be 45 minutes) in my youth in Ontario by wearing an old down filled set of air force flight pants.

If you want to / need to get extreme with the frigid P&G stuff you may want to think about a breathing device that will allow you to expel your moist warm breath somewhere other than near an ice cold windshield.
LOL! Sorry, not at you. I had a benz whose heater fan died, hence I had no heat. I had to exhale into a grocery bag, let the moisture freeze, then let the air out. I can only imagine what people thought in traffic.... )

If nothing else I'll be getting a dipstick heater soon, I'd prefer a recirc style but I'm so dang tempted to sell the car.
__________________
Mike
_______________________________________________

"If you want to save gas I suggest you permanently remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. That seems to help." -Oscar Halverson

oneinchsidehop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
 
skewbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 771
Country: United States
I did LEDs too, figured it was 70 to 100 watts saved. Also have a trolling battery now. There is a bag of whites on the desk right now I plan on making into headlights/drls when that project gets to the top of the list.

FYI, my flasher spazzed out without all the load, so I took the flasher apart and set it up on the bench and touched a small electrolytic capacitor across the existing capacitors one at a time in parallel (that increases the capacitance) till I found one that responded, then experimented with different capacitor values till I found a value that gave an acceptable blink rate. Then it was soldered it to the existing capacitor and close it up (and reinstall it).
__________________
Standard Disclaimer
skewbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:19 AM   #18
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 231
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
I did LEDs too, figured it was 70 to 100 watts saved. Also have a trolling battery now. There is a bag of whites on the desk right now I plan on making into headlights/drls when that project gets to the top of the list.

FYI, my flasher spazzed out without all the load, so I took the flasher apart and set it up on the bench and touched a small electrolytic capacitor across the existing capacitors one at a time in parallel (that increases the capacitance) till I found one that responded, then experimented with different capacitor values till I found a value that gave an acceptable blink rate. Then it was soldered it to the existing capacitor and close it up (and reinstall it).
Can you post up pics of this and what value cap you used? I've tried finding a flasher that didn't have the fast blink on a burned bulb feature, nothing yet. Had LEDs on the wife's work rig she used to deliver mail, since the heat from the factory setup kept blowing the bulbs and melting the connectors due to her being on the brakes all the time. I never did find an acceptable flasher, and wasn't willing to order one for 30 bucks since the only downside was the bulbs flashed faster. Nothing real special about that setup, just got some semi trailer bulbs and screwed them to the oudside of the tail light housings. Appearance didn't really matter on it, just that it worked. The only thing stopping me from going LED on the nice vehicles is the flasher issue, and I didn't want to use the resistor load pack that keeps getting recommended since that defeats half the purpose of going LED.
Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:40 AM   #19
Registered Member
 
oneinchsidehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 165
Country: United States
So... to recap this thread:

1) P&G at night (engine off, lights on) can kill a battery, seems like we've all done it. (on the bright side I killed a crappy old one)

2) there is a lot that can be done to reduce the strain on the battery during glides:
2a) turn off all that you can. radio, fans, rear window defogger, wipers
2b) find (install) ways to turn others off. i.e. radiator fan, etc.
(my lights dim when it kicks in... never noticed before)
2c) led replacements seem to be cost effective, just wish I could do headlights too.
2d) bump start rather than use the starter to restart after glide

3) replace battery with deep cycle (any recommendations on a cheap one?)

4) grill block, block heater and warmer clothes are more FE that running the motor to stay warm. Crack windows under 30mph and it works well to defrost windows. And keep the inside of the car DRY. Get the snow off your feet before you get into the car. Get a warm day? Vacum the moisture out of the carpet.

5)an ignition/injector momentary switch is a really good idea since you don't loose your lights while shutting down the engine. (which surely will attract the local jandarmes.
__________________
Mike
_______________________________________________

"If you want to save gas I suggest you permanently remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. That seems to help." -Oscar Halverson

oneinchsidehop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:49 PM   #20
DRW
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 615
Country: United States
>"5)an ignition/injector momentary switch is a really good idea since you don't loose your lights while shutting down the engine. (which surely will attract the local jandarmes."

I hadn't thought about that. I do some EOC at night, I'll have to be carefull.

Another tip to save a few more watts is to use the dimmer switch to turn down the dash lights. They are still quite visible at half power. I added up all the power that the dash lights require and it came out to around 80-90 watts. I figure it's another 40w saved for free.
__________________

__________________
Dave W.
DRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuelly Android App - eehokie Fuelly Web Support and Community News 2 07-14-2010 09:59 PM
Fuelly for Maintenance? brandonrossl Fuelly Web Support and Community News 11 01-05-2009 04:09 AM
Feature Request: City vs Highway jethrographic Fuelly Web Support and Community News 1 08-08-2008 10:43 AM
Rz350 Sludgy Motorcycles 10 07-26-2007 08:32 AM
hi SuperRobot46000 Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome 6 07-15-2006 07:44 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.