How to make the intake air more humid to save gas. - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2006, 04:07 PM   #41
Registered Member

Windshield washer pumps

Windshield washer pumps probably don't last too long.

Capcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #42
FE nut

Quote:Windshield washer

Quote:
Windshield washer pumps probably don't last too long.
Actually, a small inverter and a fish aquarium pump might last longer. The problem is that it may not put out enough volume.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:54 PM   #43
Registered Member

water injection

A lot of water injection systems flow to much. All you need is 1 to 3ml per min with a 2.0 liter engine at low engine speeds. Thats a .001 orifise or less at 10 to 17 inch of manifold vacuum pull. Or no.28 needle at medical supply store.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:29 PM   #44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I know this, I was thinking right before the butterfly. I might just set it up with a windshield washer pump and a fuel injector, then set it up with some sort of variable load valve that works off of a pressure sensor coming off the MAP line. I dunno though.
Search on the internet someone already tried the injector trick and it will corrode and not open.
mikefxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:34 PM   #45
*shrug*

I've heard injectors are too big anyway, since I posted that more than half a year ago or whatev, , my learning curve is embarassing.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:07 PM   #46
Registered Member

Opps didn't see how old post was.
mikefxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:09 PM   #47
Registered Member

High humidity improves mileage for two reasons. The water molecule (atomic weight 18) is much lighter than nitrogen (28), oxygen (32) or carbon dioxide (44) molecules, so if there is lots of moisture in the atmosphere, it reduces the density of the air your car is plowing through. Also water molecules in the air displace some of the oxygen molecules that your engine would normally be combusting. So high humidity has the effect of reducing the amount of oxygen that your ICE can suck in, which also reduces the amount of gasoline burned and the amount of power produced by the ICE.

They used water injection in some supercharged WWII aircraft, but there is was mainly used under steady state (fixed throttle) conditions with about 80% to 90% throttle. Aircraft engines are operated very differently from the average car ICE, since aircraft engines are run closer the full power most of the time and the RPM's remain more constant. Unlike car ICE's that are run at low power settings most of the time and the RPM's are often rapidly changing.

A method to set up a constant high humidity entering the intake manifold may help to improve mileage, but a water injection (spraying jets of water into the intake) wouldn't. The peizo room humidifier may work provided it can produce enough mist to keep up with the ICE's air intake demands and if the electricity required to operate the peizo doesn't eat up your energy savings via heavier demands on your alternator. The peizo will also need to adjust its output to your ICE's air demands, otherwise if you spend some time idling in traffic with the peizo running full tilt, you may end up killing the engine with excess water.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:35 PM   #48
Registered Member

Every small block Chevy I've ever owned has ALWAYS run better in the wet damp weather!
katman@everestkc.net

For AMSOIL products
https://www.lubedealer.com/kat

For Herbs from the Amazon
https://www.168336.amazonherb.net
GasSavers_katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:59 AM   #49
Registered Member

I talked to my automotive engineer friend, and come to find out that the O2 sensor is going to see the additional oxygen from the water vapor and add more fuel to match it. The Mother Earth stuff was before the days of O2 sensors. With an EFIE and wideband O2 sensor it might be doable, he said.
cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:06 PM   #50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapybob
I talked to my automotive engineer friend, and come to find out that the O2 sensor is going to see the additional oxygen from the water vapor and add more fuel to match it. The Mother Earth stuff was before the days of O2 sensors. With an EFIE and wideband O2 sensor it might be doable, he said.
So what your friend is saying is water is being split into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydorgen is being burnt and there is oxygen still left over or there is no spitting and just air in the water is released?