Humid Intake Air - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-12-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Humid Intake Air

Combustion rules state that the higher-temperature, more-dense air available for combustions results in better fuel economy. I've done the first part by increasing the intake air temperature and realized a significant increase in economy. The next idea I'm working on is how to make the air more dense.

Winters in the Midwest are really dry, and the relative humidity is pretty low. I've looked at water injection, but to be honest, I'm not a mechanic by any definition, and vapor lock is a concern.

Aside from moving to Florida, how do I get the air hot and dense? Bear with me while I think out loud, but if I get water to boil off of the exhaust manifold, (in a container of some sort) and direct the steam into the hot air intake duct, would that increase the relative humidity at the point of combustion, or would it just cool back down and condense by the time the air gets to the intake valve? The steam would have to travel through about 4 feet of air intake duct, into the airbox, past the K&N cone filter, through the clean air intake and to the throttle body/intake. I'd use distilled water to prevent the introduction of precipitated solids (calcium, lime, etc.) Any thoughts?

RH77

Old 01-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
Driving on E

A few months ago someone

A few months ago someone brought this topic up. I think it was chasgood. can't remember though.

The idea was to use a humidifier to inject the moisture into the intake manifold.

I would be afraid though that any solution might destroy your air filter. I'll post some more thoughts when it's not so damn cold in my house and I can feel my fingers.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #3

I think by the time the

I think by the time the moisture hits the intake manifold it will have recondensed. You'd also be creating MUCH more humidity [near 100%] than is in a typical ragged out humid day. One thing you'd definately have if you did this is a clean engine - water cleans the hell out of the carbon deposits.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
*shrug*

I have been thinking about

I have been thinking about it and I figure a simple water injection with a fine spray will do this more simply, because you do not need to worry about rigging up some elaborate under-hood humidifier.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote