Hydrogen Generator! - Page 13 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2005, 03:08 AM   #121
Registered Member

I went to a few fuel economy

I went to a few fuel economy websites and read their stuff. Surprisingly they already built hydrogen generators and driving around with them. What absolutly floors me with is I have been to dozens of websites and they can't give a straight answer on mileage.

"Well it's winter gas that lowered the mileage", "Yeah it works, but I got no proof", "The car broke so have to get that fixed"

This is like going to a shady dealership and he/she is making the same crap up.

I'm tired of waiting. If this is not done by January I will get it done by Jan 31st myself. I have spent already $60 into this project and I don't intend to see this go to waste.

As soon as SVOboy gives me the amp results I will order the metal and the fittings and start on assembly.

I have already finished the design in my head and I can convert to chemical method in less than 1 minute to not damage the high grade stainless steel I will be using in the electrolysis method.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:00 PM   #122
Registered Member

I could also help with

I could also help with measuring current draw. I have a meter pulled from an industrial machine that will measure up to 50A. Most of the handheld meters only measure in the mA range.

However, a lot of things will effect current draw. Electrode depth, diameter, shape, material, etc. will all play a part. It isn't enough just to measure them at different distances, BUT that should give you a ballpark number. Electrolyte and temperature will also play a huge part.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:49 AM   #123
Registered Member

Could you do that also? You

Could you do that also?

You know the distances, they are .25", .5", 1" and 2"
Make sure you're using 12 gauge wire and a 12 volt power source like a car battery. Make sure the electrodes are plates and not round. You know what I mean. For the first trials use just water and electricity. Then do all those all over but with an electrolyte.

Best luck to you. I want to get this done this year.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:20 AM   #124
FE nut

I think I've heard you can

I think I've heard you can go as close as .125 inches apart. Heat will make a huge difference in the amount of gas production. When I had my generator on my Durango, it was mounted right near the radiator so I didn't need to wory about adding a heating loop for cold weather.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:47 PM   #125
Registered Member

Re: I think I've heard you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry
I think I've heard you can go as close as .125 inches apart. Heat will make a huge difference in the amount of gas production. When I had my generator on my Durango, it was mounted right near the radiator so I didn't need to wory about adding a heating loop for cold weather.
I know but I want to know the amps for sure. I don't want to kill my alternator. The altima's achellis heel is the alternator, they go through them like hotcakes. I'm still on my first one. I even put a good grounding kit that even covers the alternator.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:32 AM   #126
Registered Member

I did some more research and

I did some more research and I narrowed down the metal to 2 pieces.

Piece one is...
Thickness .25"
Length 12"
Width 1"
Material: Stainless Steel type 316

Piece two is...
Thickness .25"
Length 12"
Width 2"
Material Stainless steel type 316

What i'm thinking is if I find a lot of room in the engine bay I'll buy 2 pieces of #1 so that way they can produce more hydrogen. If there is no room I'll get piece #2 but I'll only get one stick and cut it into 2, so that way the generator uses a huge piece but it's small. That way it won't drain lots of amps but still produce a good amount of hydrogen.

Also I've been hearing that sodium hydroxide can even erode the stainless steel fast and that KOH is really gentle on Stainless steel. What is KOH, isn't it potassium hydraxide??? And is it true it's gentle on Stainless steel?

Old 12-06-2005, 06:46 AM   #127
Registered Member

Here is a site all about hydrogen production

[url=http://oupower.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=c8ac1a1ef7a6f06544c8877f497f 64e4]
smoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:08 AM   #128
Registered Member

Re: Here is a site all about hydrogen production

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore
[url=http://oupower.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=c8ac1a1ef7a6f06544c8877f497f 64e4]
Good find, but it's nothing new. I already did enough research to know all that.

Anyway here is an update. I find some space in my engine bay for the generator and the bubbler.
Problems....
1)The generator can only be 8-9 inches tall due to limited space.
2)The chemical method can't be worked because putting the generator in that spot requires intake to be taken off and then putting it back on. So the only thing I can do is check electrodes and add water.
3) The generator will be 2-3 feet away from the intake entrance which means I need a big hose.

Here are some positives....
1)Since the generator and bubbler will be black it will be hidden from the view.
2) The generator will be right next to the engine. So it will help the reaction.

Now I have a question, can I attach the generator to the tranny?? It will only touch the tranny and nothing else.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:36 AM   #129
Registered Member

Well my theory was proved...

Well my theory was proved... KOH is the best electrocyte to use with Stainless steel as an electorode for the longevity of the electrodes and the reaction.

KOH=Potassium Hydroxide

What products are potassium hydroxide????

Old 12-06-2005, 11:06 AM   #130

Re: Well my theory was proved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
KOH=Potassium Hydroxide

What products are potassium hydroxide????
Potash lye if you can find it. The other more common type of lye is sodium hydroxide.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote