Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2006, 11:25 AM   #161
Registered Member

Re: Yes, That's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capcom
Yes, That's correct.
Do you know what the electrode material is and how far they are apart? What are the dimensions of the electrolysis chamber? On what type of engine is this used on I.E 4/6/8 cylinder, fuel injection?

GasSavers_JAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:47 AM   #162
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnderson
Quote:
Yes, That's correct.
Do you know what the electrode material is and how far they are apart? What are the dimensions of the electrolysis chamber? On what type of engine is this used on I.E 4/6/8 cylinder, fuel injection?
I couldn't ask what material for electrode is used also. I guess its probably stainless steel.
Electrolyses chamber is approximately 2 inches wide, 2 inches long and 3 inches deep. And i saw an "open" electrolysis chamber in the shop and if my memory serves me well it had 5 - 6 plates of electrodes in it.
My car is a modern fuel injected GM engine built in '97, having 4 cylinders, 2000cc displacement, 136HP and 1350kg.
(More detail about my car: http://www.gassavers.org/forum_topic/hello_from_turkey_ankara.html )

But mine is the smaller one that operates at 12 volts. They have a somewhat bigger electrolysis chamber model designed for 24 volts, Heavy Truck, Bus use.
They install the 12 volt smaller version to all type of cars whether its fuel injected, carburated or diesel...

Capcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #163
Registered Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, That's correct.
I couldn't ask what material for electrode is used also. I guess its probably stainless steel.
Electrolyses chamber is approximately 2 inches wide, 2 inches long and 3 inches deep. And i saw an "open" electrolysis chamber in the shop and if my memory serves me well it had 5 - 6 plates of electrodes in it.
My car is a modern fuel injected GM engine built in '97, having 4 cylinders, 2000cc displacement, 136HP and 1350kg.
(More detail about my car: http://www.gassavers.org/forum_topic/hello_from_turkey_ankara.html )

But mine is the smaller one that operates at 12 volts. They have a somewhat bigger electrolysis chamber model designed for 24 volts, Heavy Truck, Bus use.
They install the 12 volt smaller version to all type of cars whether its fuel injected, carburated or diesel...
That's extremely small! Is it a cylindrical chamber? Most chambers are 4"-6" in diameter and 8"-12" long. No wonder there is not enough H2. What are their claims of performance?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #164
Registered Member

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
rh77 most people don't use these systems because the ones that "work" cost around $500. You have to be a very hard core enthusiast to spend $500 on something that might not even work. I'd personally rather spend the money on new apolstry for my n600. At least I can see the results for that.

I would be more than happy to assist any way I can in the production of a h2 generator. Maybe one day I'll even install one.
Thanks Matt and Compaq888. I'm really struggling with the idea, and haven't gotten the guts (or money) to try it yet.

RH77
Old 01-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #165
Registered Member

Quote:

That's extremely small! Is it a cylindrical chamber? Most chambers are 4"-6" in diameter and 8"-12" long. No wonder there is not enough H2. What are their claims of performance?
It's rectengular. They claim %15 to %35 reduction in fuel consumption.

I was expecting %3-5 reduction so i made two tests in highway with cruise control set to 110kmh = 68mph on a 60km = 37miles road.

In first test, i switched the device OFF by pulling its "fuse" and took note the total fuel consumption. And right after this test i ran the "same" road again at "same" speed while the device was ON. Even the outside temperature was same, windows were closed and in both tests there was no traffic at all.
After the end of second test the fuel consumption measures were same due to "trip computer" of my car.
Capcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #166
Registered Member

Re: Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
rh77 most people don't use these systems because the ones that "work" cost around $500. You have to be a very hard core enthusiast to spend $500 on something that might not even work. I'd personally rather spend the money on new apolstry for my n600. At least I can see the results for that.

I would be more than happy to assist any way I can in the production of a h2 generator. Maybe one day I'll even install one.
Thanks Matt and Compaq888. I'm really struggling with the idea, and haven't gotten the guts (or money) to try it yet.

RH77
Don't worry when I get the time I'll build one. I work so many hours now that they don't even give me 8 hours of sleep. I ditched work yesterday so I could get some sleep.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:38 AM   #167
Registered Member

H2 generation

Interesting stuff on electrolysis. Check out their project called Stardrive. http://www.stardrivedevice.com/electrolysis.html
Old 01-30-2006, 05:09 AM   #168
Registered Member

Electrode materials

Flatland,

Lead would make an excelent electrode. It shouldn't corode too badly. You have to remember you're basicaly creating a battery with a weak electrolyte. I am doing some experiments of my own. I would liek to use stainless steel plates for electrodes, but can not find any sources for the metal. Any ideas. Currently I am using zinc plated steel carriage bolts. I have to replace them about every other time I fill the tank with water. Bolts are cheap about 98c each, so it's not too expensive, just a pain to have to replace them so often. I am using baking soda as an electrolyte, (seems to produce nearly as much H as acid, but safer to handle.)

Neontoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:37 AM   #169
Registered Member

Be careful with too strong an electrolyte

Flatland,

(See earlier reply to post) I would not be so eager to strengthen the electrolye using lye. Once you go overboard with the electrolyte solution, you run the risk of creating too much heat during the electrolsis proces, and hence a greater risk of explosion. (The same sort of reaction that you get when you overcharge an older lead acid battery.)
Neontoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:39 AM   #170
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Whaaaa??

Are you guys looking for perpetual energy here or what - without reading all 6 pages of posts . . . the best electrode material is platinum and the best electrolite is Sufuric Acid. Get some old spark plugs for the electrodes - tungston is a very high temperature metal thats why they weld with it and use it in light bulb filaments DUH! What you need is something that is corrosion resistant and will not react with oxygen . . . Platinum!! Never heard of baking soda for electrolite however - guess I can learn a few things. The energy to make the gas separate - and you want to burn both by the way - need oxygen for the H2 to burn with - but the only gain I can see is if you have a fuel problem with the gasoline vaporization which we already take care of with the additives. Better to make it at home of a wind generator and bottle it up in tanks and burn it in the car later.

FYI there was a lot of work down in Europe last year on heating the fuel - both gas and diesel - at the injectors with exhost manifold heat to better vaporize the fuel when it is injected. Seems to get much better power and economy. It works for oil furnaces in your home too.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote