onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
Registered Member

Nice link Gams

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
I found this interesting clip today

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ogen+car&hl=en
Nice link Gams! There's also a white-board description of how it works on the main page that I need to look over as well.

I'd like to know how they overcame the caustic effects of Hydrogen on engine components (magnesium, aluminium, etc.)

RH77

Old 10-07-2006, 08:04 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Not fuel proof yet - certain combinations of fuel input caused loss of combustion if you watch as he flips both switches on, the speed drops and he had to turn the left switch off to resume power.

Very interesting price on the carbon fiber tank less that $700 for a 5000psi tank is great!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi rh77 -?caustic effects of Hydrogen on engine components?

What makes you think that ?
I know that if you make your own hydrogen that using salts to increase the reaction you also make chlorine gas instead of oxygen - which obviously isnt very good.
If you have seen any documentation of the side effect of hydrogen ide be interested in see'ing it.
One test I have seen is a lawn mower machine that has been running for 15 years on Hydrogen with no mechanical issues.

If there was found to be some degrading effect of the fuel , then coating the head , valves and piston tops with a ceramic coating should solve that.

I have been making hydrogen / oxygen for a while now and will soon (this winter) be making a small on demand gas cell for a grass cutting machine.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:53 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi JanGeo - ?certain combinations of fuel input caused loss of combustion?

Yeah , I saw that too ...
While it may indeed be able to run on almost any combination of fuel liquid you still have to remember the air fuel ratio.
I think he turned on 2 fuel pumps at the same time leading into an excessively rich condition causing a drop in power.

Also another issue would be that thick fuels like diesels and home made biodiesels can be very thick.
This would probably need different pump , hose diamter , maybe heating (normal in diesles) and fuel jet diameters. (does he use jets?) than a thin fuel like gasoline.

He's probably thought about this already (40 yrs experience) . so he may have seperate tanks and delivery systems depending on the type of fuel.

Which would mean no diesel in the gas tank , and vici verca.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:53 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I also wonder how he is metering each fuel to obtain the proper ratio and he said something about no throttle body? Also interesting is that diesel burns in an air excess full flow intake cycle (wide open) and the fuel is varied for the power needed and maybe that is what he is doing.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:09 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hi JanGeo

Yeah , there was a lot of talking , but not many real specifics given about the conversion.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:07 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
Hi rh77 -?caustic effects of Hydrogen on engine components?

What makes you think that ?
I can't find the post, but it was discussed at length how to make your own Hydrogen and how it would increase FE. I think it was be-bunked and found to cause engine damage. Someone may have to help out here...

RH77
Old 10-08-2006, 07:30 AM   #9
FE nut

Hydrogen is supposed to cause embrittlement of the metal in the engine. Fran Giroux addressed this somewhere on his site(www.hydrogen-boost.com) and explained that the way he and others that produce H2 in similar ways doesn't really cause this embrittlement.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #10
Registered Member

HI rh77 - ?and how it would increase FE. I think it was be-bunked and found to cause engine damage.?

Ahh . I think that thread will have to be opened up again and added to , because adding hydrogen to an another fuel air mix has be proved to increase FE by at least 25% and up to 50% in most cars.

Engine damage , I dont belive it , BMW has just released its production line hydrogen car , so it can be done.