I bought a Civic today! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

I bought a Civic today!

Well me and the wife were tossing the ideal around of finding a beater car to save on gas. During the past 2 weeks my wife kept going back and forth on the ideal and then out of no where yesterday, she said just go buy a new car. So that's what I did today. I got a 2008 Civix LX sedan 5 speed. Traded off my 2003 Blazer, and the only thing I will miss about it is the 4 wheel drive in the winter, other than that, nothing. Now to start hypermiling !!!

Old 06-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Registered Member

Congratulations. I bet you'll love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourrobert13 View Post
the only thing I will miss about it is the 4 wheel drive in the winter
I've been driving in heavy snow since 1972 (not including summers!), and I think 4 really good snow tires make a very big difference (get some extra wheels). I'd rather have great tires with 2WD, as compared with average tires and 4WD.

A brand I really like is Nokian. They are harder to find, and can be expensive, but I think they are worth it for the traction.

No connection to them, just a happy customer.

But even with good tires, you have to remember that you don't have the ground clearance you are used to. Especially when the car is loaded.

monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe74 View Post
But even with good tires, you have to remember that you don't have the ground clearance you are used to. Especially when the car is loaded.
This is a good point. When I started driving my VW after not having driven a small car for 5 years, it was tough to remember that I couldn't just run over everything. What looked like a little snowball rolling down the road made an awful clatter as it bounced around under my car. Parallel parking at work, I allowed myself to get a little too close to the grassy hill on one side with its broken pavement at the edge and heard an awful scraping noise (but there was no damage to speak of). I drove over a small piece of debris in my driveway and later found a piece of plastic from the undercarriage sitting there. Luckily it just snapped back into place.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

Congrats!!!! I too bought a Civic about 3 wks ago. I LOVE it! Im getting close to getting 42 MPG. I just need to qiut being late so much. LOL.
Heath72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:16 AM   #5
Registered Member

Good job. I returned a Civic to the dealership yesterday. It was just painful to drive ( size ). Im going to try for another Camry or Accord.
jprich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprich View Post
Good job. I returned a Civic to the dealership yesterday. It was just painful to drive ( size ). Im going to try for another Camry or Accord.
Fit is probably the most important quality of a car. If it looks ugly and runs like crap and has just the right dimensions/layout for you, you're bound to be more comfortable driving it than if it's brand new, fast, looks great, and the armrests/console/seat/steering wheel are all in the wrong place for the way you sit.