I give up, It's not worth my time... - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2008, 07:27 PM   #31
Registered Member

I've been trying to get 40+ MPG out of my g/f 2004 Honda Civic SE but the best I've been able to do is 39.5 MPG. I coast as much as possible and the tires are inflated to 37psi, but I just can't break that barrier. Then, we had to make a rather rapid trip to another town for a family emergency where I was driving VERY aggressively. We had done 100 mp/h on occasion with 85 mp/h average, heavy acceleration and a/c on nearly full. The surprise was that the highway miles dropped from 38 mpg on average to 32 mpg (same as the city EPA).

I think I'm with Kevin on this one. At what point do all the hypermiling techniques become rather moot? I mean, if I drive normally I get the EPA of 38 mpg (highway) and 32 mpg (city), but when I hypermile I get 39.5 mpg (highway). That's really not worth it. Now if this was my Festiva, well, that's a different story. I'm able to squeak out a lot more miles when I use the tech.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:02 AM   #32
Registered Member

Kevin- It's all a matter of personal opinion. Saving $20 a month in this economy is well worth it. Heck I might even take my wife out for a nice dinner. --Josh
www.reportgasprices.com

Old 08-01-2008, 06:17 AM   #33
Registered Member

There are different ways to get your FE up. To me driving slow just to save gas is not worthwile. I try to time stop lights, pulse A/C, don't idle, go easy on acceleration - adds 1%-2% to travel time, and improves FE by ~10%. If I need better MPG then that, I'll get on a bike.
djenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:34 AM   #34
Registered Member

It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase.

Greyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:41 AM   #35
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuripot View Post
FYI, I already doubled my FE when I parked my F150 3 months ago and bought a new Hyundai Accent. I went from 18 mpg to 36 mpg.

I honestly get 35+ MPG driving this 08 manual trans. Accent pretty hard. Shifting @ 3000 + RPM and cruising at 75 mph. Don't ask me why it's rated so low for highway mileage. I don't see it. I honestly don't know how I could get much less mileage on the highway with it.

Kevin
oh, thats how i hypermile
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlife View Post
I've been trying to get 40+ MPG out of my g/f 2004 Honda Civic SE but the best I've been able to do is 39.5 MPG. I coast as much as possible and the tires are inflated to 37psi, but I just can't break that barrier. Then, we had to make a rather rapid trip to another town for a family emergency where I was driving VERY aggressively. We had done 100 mp/h on occasion with 85 mp/h average, heavy acceleration and a/c on nearly full. The surprise was that the highway miles dropped from 38 mpg on average to 32 mpg (same as the city EPA).
try 44-51psi. 37 really isnt much at all... and could you define "coast"?
Old 08-01-2008, 07:08 AM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReportGasPrices View Post
Kevin- It's all a matter of personal opinion. Saving $20 a month in this economy is well worth it. Heck I might even take my wife out for a nice dinner. --Josh
www.reportgasprices.com
Yep, you're right, it's personal opinion. I'd rather have 20 minutes extra per day with my wife than spend it on the interstate. I've been married less than a year. (thats my wife in the photo) Maybe someday it will change, but for right now I'm in no hurry to leave in the morning and always in a hurry to get home in the afternoon!

Kevin
Old 08-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuripot View Post
Yep, you're right, it's personal opinion. I'd rather have 20 minutes extra per day with my wife than spend it on the interstate. I've been married less than a year. (thats my wife in the photo) Maybe someday it will change, but for right now I'm in no hurry to leave in the morning and always in a hurry to get home in the afternoon!

Kevin
Lol, It's not how fast your drive, it's where you live.
I spend about 2 minutes on the interstate going over a bridge, about 3 minutes getting to it and about 5 more getting off and finding a parking spot. Timed my commute at 5.6 miles. Takes 12 minutes door to door, 11 if I run from the parking lot. Don't see a need to speed, only gets me there 5 seconds faster.
djenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #38
Registered Member

Before I used to drive 65 mph hwy, but I took a long road trip - Houston to Chicago at 70 mph - and discovered my 99 HX M/T gets 50 to 51.15 mpg @ 70 mph so now I just drive all hwy at 70 mph - no 55, 60, or 65 unless there are cops around. I value the saved time too!

But now I will be unemployed soon, so I got lots of time to spare, so maybe I'll try 60 mph.
JESSE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #39
Registered Member

For me, driving in an FE conscious way (not necessarily hypermiling) can be an interesting game. I am not tired of that yet.
I enjoy breaking my own records.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #40
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReportGasPrices View Post
www.reportgasprices.com
What are you currently getting your Suburban? You should create a garage entry for it and log your mileage there. Read up what I've been learning about my truck, and you may increase your mileage as well.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote