I got over 20mpg! - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Well, the Fiesta goes on sale early next year according to everywhere I've been able to read, so I guess then. The Durango becomes a second vehicle then while I rip that 1.6L buzz machine a new A.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
How many years does that take?
Hopefully much less if we don't chase him away. After all, its his $$$ he is wasting. I mean, I agree with you. Driving a GIANT SUV to work by yourself everyday is a huge waste of gas, and $$$. I have never owned a truck or SUV. and Iv only owned ONE minivan. I have been driving 4cyl cars since the 80's!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Hey, I'll be doing my part again soon! Over the winter I'm building my 1.0l fuel injected metro engine motorcycle and then plan on buying an economy car. Yeah, it'll be a loaded economy car and it'll most likely get a turbo but it should still attain good numbers!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #24
Registered Member

I'm waiting for hydrogen. It might take 30 years but oh well. In the meantime I'll roll my...

heh heh couldn''t resist

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #25
Registered Member

Blame insurance rates, seriously, some cities people are paying $4000 a year, the difference in cost between having a truck for your leisure pursuits and having a truck and a commuter car, will more than pay for the gas just to run the truck as a commuter.

I have compromise vehicles. I don't want to get rid of either of them, I am "working around" not having Marvin running at the moment, Wile-E was supposed to be the econobox, but if I didn't have to pay insurance at the insane rates here, I would have 2 real econoboxes, bare minimum vehicles, don't care about passenger carrying, a full size highway cruiser, a sporty "toy" AND a towbeast truck or large RV. The average in use year average MPG of that fleet would probably be over 40, as it is with compromise vehicles I might get 27. Most people who need/want use of a truck would do 30-35 with that an an econobox, but if the insurance for a year costs more than the gas it won't happen.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #26
Registered Member

For as little as I use my truck, I call up the insurance co when I'm gonna use it, then cancel after the job is done. Sometimes it costs ZERO to insure for a day or so. So basically the pickup insurance is free and I maintain continuous coverage on the econobox.

Ya just hafta be a little smart about this stuff.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

Old 07-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
For as little as I use my truck, I call up the insurance co when I'm gonna use it, then cancel after the job is done.
What insurance company accepts that behavior?

I wish I could get insurance on me as a driver, then supplemental insurance for each vehicle for vehicle-specific concerns and for the rare other driver. I'd love to keep a variety of vehicles. As it is I haven't been keeping the Buick insured (it doesn't get driven ) and have been considering uninsuring the truck, but I drive it to the dump once a week.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
What insurance company accepts that behavior?
Any of them? All of them? I know I'm not the only one that does that.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

Old 07-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #29
Registered Member

Your lucky you could do so.
Some states/locals require insurance on vehicles that just sit in the driveway.
Insurance companies in NJ only sell 1 year min. policies on motorcycles.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
In RI, any registered vehicle has to be insured. I'm not sure if it's actually illegal to be registered and uninsured or if it's only illegal to drive on the road uninsured, but they begin enforcement with registration; they won't renew it without a policy.

I don't think they check often (or at all) to make sure it's really insured.