i want to get 35MPG out of my pick up truck - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #31
Registered Member

something like this??

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #32
Registered Member

sounds to me like it didnt make much of a difference on the mpg's or he would have been posting up the results

GasSavers_ccrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #33
Registered Member

many people have good intentions to do elaborate modifications but when the chips are down, they just don't have the time or the drive.

this isn't to say that they are failures (the modifications that is) but rather any modification is a failure that is left undone.

I think we all have things that we want to do that end badly or end up on the backburner. I recently tried to make my bumper look better and due to time constraints and lack of fiber glass experience, it ended bad....very bad.

I am now revisiting this as my bumper looks worse than it ever has.

just because he didn't post results doesn't mean that the mod was a failure. many people don't post when they mess stuff up or when life threw them a monkey wrench and everything gets put on hold.

I can't say whether it is a good mod or not but someone elses silence won't sway me one sway or the other.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #34
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

As I recall, he had cited the fact that he had no outside funding, so he still had to pay the bills and go to his regular job, this was a project that got whatever time and money was leftover.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #35
Registered Member

scangauge II is on its way any advise from those of you who used them extensively. what setting to display? what kind of driving style changes are best? any info to maximize the use of it?
Old 11-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #36
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

As far as what to watch... Depends on what you're trying to do. I usually watch instant MPG, Tank MPG, O2 sensor reading (so I can detect DFCO) and the 4th I will switch out. Right now its intake air temp. I've been thinking about programming the xgauge for distance to empty, but I just haven't done it.

-Jay

Old 11-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #37
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
You'll decide on your own what data to display. I like current trip average MPG (I had to make that one as an XGauge, the instructions tell you how); open/closed loop for detecting DFCO; instant MPG; fIA (intake air temperature); fWT (coolant temp) if I'm afraid my grille block might be too much; and sometimes others. In my truck, which has an automatic transmission, I like to monitor torque converter slippage to see when it's locked and how much I'm wasting when it's not...that was a tough XGauge to make.

Edit: I often display distance to empty too.

As for what driving style changes, all the usual ones we discuss here; you can observe them in the current trip average to see if they're helping.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #38
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I like to monitor torque converter slippage to see when it's locked and how much I'm wasting when it's not...that was a tough XGauge to make.
You got that one to finally work? Do you think it will work on my 98 K1500? i'd be interested to know when the T/C is locked.

-Jay

Old 11-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #39
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
You got that one to finally work? Do you think it will work on my 98 K1500? i'd be interested to know when the T/C is locked.

-Jay
Yeah, it definitely works. The only issues are that it doesn't display negative numbers; instead it rolls around from 6553.5, so -500 would display as 6053, and that it seems to actually work off calculations rather than a sensor, so when neutral coasting it displays its equivalent of a negative number rather than 0.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #40
Registered Member

i got a base reading on my truck before i installed my scangauge

i drove 65 mph with my tailgate up on my truck for 200+ miles. half the ride was with the lights on and the other with the lights off the air temp was below freezing due to the frost on the car in the morning when i left but got warmer as i drove. i put the truck in neutral on big hills and coasted ( i would say about 20 times). i recorded 30.11 mpg. this was straight highway driving.

also i took a 100 mile reading on my odometer and it was 101.9 miles on my gps. so my truck's odometer is 1.9% low. i noticed on the scan gauge to calibrate the speedometer it is in + or - a mph. how do i calibrate my scangauge being that the calibration is not linear?

can i download my gas log from my scangauge?