i want to get 35MPG out of my pick up truck - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-20-2009, 03:33 AM   #41
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Generally, a miscalibrated speedometer/odometer is not linear either, but rather a percentage. Calibrate your ScanGauge to 1.9% to start with if you want it to be accurate to the GPS.

However, for the sake of easy comparison and clarity, I recommend calibrating the ScanGauge to match your speedometer/odometer. Otherwise, you'll need to adjust your odometer reading when you log your gas purchases.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:04 AM   #42
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Generally, a miscalibrated speedometer/odometer is not linear either, but rather a percentage. Calibrate your ScanGauge to 1.9% to start with if you want it to be accurate to the GPS.

However, for the sake of easy comparison and clarity, I recommend calibrating the ScanGauge to match your speedometer/odometer. Otherwise, you'll need to adjust your odometer reading when you log your gas purchases.
Or, calibrate the Scangauge to match the GPS, then use the trip mileage reading from the Scangauge when entering data into your fuel log. That would be the most accurate.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #43
Registered Member

i installed my scangauge a few days ago and today i installed a WAI.

for the WAI i connected a 3" dryer vent to the stock air intake tube and ran it right up to the exhaust manifold. before i installed the WAI i was getting 5-10 degrees warmer than the outside air temps. now with the WAI installed i am getting about 30 degrees warmer. i saw some people on the forum running shrouds around their exhaust manifolds and getting some very high temps. any words of wisdom on tweeking my WAI? are you guys tweeking your WAI's in the summer? i wouldnt think that the manufactures would make the air temp range on the computers go much above 120 or 140 degrees
GasSavers_ccrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #44
Site Team / Moderator

The one thing I keep seeing people mention is that they try to keep the air temp under 200F.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #45
Registered Member

i was messing with the placement of the air intake pipe by the exhaust manifold on my WAI today and it seems that the max i can get the temp up is about 40 degrees above outside air temps. so i am thinking i should build a shroud around my exhaust manifold.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #46
Registered Member

on some highway driving today the air intake temp went up to about 50 degrees above outside air temp. i was surprised to see the temps on the highway to be higher than city driving/idling. will this 50+ temp stay the same in the summer?

also sometimes it takes my scangauge about 10 seconds to start operating is this typical?

my first tank of gas the scangage said i used 2 more gallons of gas than i actually did. i adjusted the gas usage. i am just writing some of this stuff so if someone does a search they can find this info.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:58 AM   #47
Site Team / Moderator

If you're talking about 10 seconds from when you start the car, then yes this is normal. If you're talking about delayed readings this can be normal as well. There is a communications speed setting in the SG setup. I tried Fast before on my vehicle, and it caused problems.

When the SG communication was on fast, the dashboard clock would reset to 12:00 each time the vehicle was started, the CD player would not work, the radio presets would erase, and if I stopped and turned the key from run to accessory to park and listen to the radio, the radio would shut off when the SG shut off. (About 10 seconds after the engine is shut down). As it is now it works well enough, my readings may be delayed by a second or two, but I don't have to reset everything every time I start the vehicle.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:04 AM   #48
Registered Member

I would say to wait until the summer to really tweak your WAI. if you tweak it on the hottest days, then you are good year round.

I made my shroud out of window flashing (from lowes). very inexpensive and depending on your hobbies, friends, job, etc.. you may have some laying around.

I put mine in and the hottest I have ever seen is 179. I think my delta is around 70ish degrees above outside temp. (all that is in degrees F)

if you don't tweak it during the summer, you will have to retweak it when the summer gets here. (not that it is really a big deal to do that).

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #49

The mythbusters episode was ONE TRUCK. I can tell you I DID get better mileage in a 1998 Nissan Frontier. 180K miles with the tailgate DOWN and averaging 36 MPG proven. I wish I'd kept that truck.

I DID keep it at 55 not 60+ to achieve such mileage, btw - ALL highway miles pretty much.

A transmission regear and/or a better differential can help if it's a RWD - if it's FWD then you'll need a transmission regear. TOTALLY possible to get 40+ mpg from a truck.

HAI will really help too. K&N filters have been tried with much success, you either like 'em or you hate 'em. Works GREAT on my CRX.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #50
Registered Member

Someday you will need to replace them. Put on the largest diameter tires your truck can wear. A cheap, quick way to go to higher gearing.

Drive in the highest gear, using the least throttle possible.
Start off at idle and gradually add throttle, like the big trucks.

You might mount a vaccuum gauge on the dash, so you can keep running at the best throttle setting.

The A/C causes an imperceptible drag when off. The clutch disengages everything, so it probibly uses no more fuel than an 'idler' pully.
And, you'll get better MPG with the windows closed, at highway speeds, plus, the wind blowing in your ears won't cause tinnitis like it did me.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote