Indexing & Side Gapping Spark Plugs - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
XFi
Registered Member

Indexing & Side Gapping Spark Plugs

Was searching the 'archives' for side gapping and indexing and found considerable older posts in regards to this. I am still unsure what the 'correct' or 'best' way to point the open side of the gap towards. Most have said towards the valves (favoring the exhaust valve), but others say away from the valves. Also, has anyone side gapped NGK 'V' plugs before. From what I understand, the sharper the edges the better for sidegapping, but would this be ok with these plugs?

WOW...Still trying to plow through the multitude of info on this site! Was Hoping to tweek my Metro one experiment at a time to find out what works, but find myself throwing two or three changes at once just because I can't wait.

Thanks!

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:10 AM   #2
*shrug*

Hey, my thread! Anyway, I

Hey, my thread! Anyway, I believe you are sposed to point them towards the intake so that the spark is getting to the mixture rather than the empty space on the other side of the cylinder.

Quote:
. Also, has anyone side gapped NGK 'V' plugs before. From what I understand, the sharper the edges the better for sidegapping, but would this be ok with these plugs?
Really, I have ****ty bosch in my car now (honda hates them), but when I replace them I will do ngk. I haven't done this yet only because I'm leaking oil into my plug holes and I don't want a huge oily mess in there or to mess with trying to get them out just yet.

Quote:
WOW...Still trying to plow through the multitude of info on this site! Was Hoping to tweek my Metro one experiment at a time to find out what works, but find myself throwing two or three changes at once just because I can't wait.
Keep us updated on your projects!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
XFi
Registered Member

Thanks for your input.

Thanks for your input. Sorry, didn't mean to take your thread . Guess I should have just replied to an older posting. Found a local speed shop that stocks indexing washers and will stop by the parts store for the plugs(hope I can find my dremel). If the weather holds up...maybe I can get this done today.

I will try 'pointing the gap' towards the valves.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
*shrug*

Quote:Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Thanks for your input. Sorry, didn't mean to take your thread Sad. Guess I should have just replied to an older posting.
No no no! I'm glad, this needed to be reposted. In my car, I would have to point the opening towards the firewall, as that is where my intake manifold is. Take some pictures and **** if you can while doing it. The v-powers are only like 2 a pop, which is jawsome. I wonder how much the indexing washers are though.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:25 AM   #5
Registered Member

Re: Quote:Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Quote:
Thanks for your input. Sorry, didn't mean to take your thread Sad. Guess I should have just replied to an older posting.
No no no! I'm glad, this needed to be reposted. In my car, I would have to point the opening towards the firewall, as that is where my intake manifold is. Take some pictures and **** if you can while doing it. The v-powers are only like 2 a pop, which is jawsome. I wonder how much the indexing washers are though.
Washers are about $20pp. There's enough to do a few V8's from my experience. Might want to just by twice the plugs you need and swap them around. Don't expect huge gains from indexing, but every little bit helps.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...8&autoview=sku
iburnh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
*shrug*

XFI, if you buy the washers

XFI, if you buy the washers and have left overs I'll buy some of them off ya,
Old 03-25-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
XFi
Registered Member

Wasn't able to complete

Wasn't able to complete today. Will have to wait for a few days...decided to take my daughter shopping instead. I did pick up the spark plugs (six of them) and got the washers at the speed shop. I'm sure I paid a premium ($26) for a set of 30. They are accel brand and include 10 of each thickness (.043 .054 .064). SVO, I'm sure I will have some to spare and will mail you some (just private mail me your name/address). I'm not worrried about any compen$ation, but thanks anyway. Geographically, you may be the closest member on this forum to me.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
*shrug*

Ah, that's very cool, you're

Ah, that's very cool, you're in a right good spot to come to the meet I want to set up at Dan's house,

Indexing plugs is one of those things you do and notice no difference and forget about, then a year later when you've done 10 of those things you wonder what you did to get 3 mpg better this year than last.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
XFi
Registered Member

Side Gapped...Indexed...GO!

I just completed side gapping some NGK V-power plugs and index installing them.

Total time approx. 30 minutes. Not a lot of time for a possible MPG improvement. I set the gap at .030 (measured at 45degrees across gap). Instructions did say to remove the 'gasket' that came with the seal. The first two plugs required .064 washers, the third matched up without even removing the gasket washer that came with it.

Accel did indicate on the instructions to point the exectrode gap toward the center of the piston, favoring the exhaust side if possible.

Will post any positive results…although I have more than one FE upgrades done at the same time. I guess I really should be patient and do one thing at a time, oh well.

SVO…private message your address to me, and as requested, I will mail you some xtras.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
*shrug*

Woot, send the directions

Woot, send the directions too or I'll get confused, , but they're prolly on this site like 3 times so yeah.