Inexpensive Handling upgrade/Mpg increase - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
Banned

you guys are making assumptions, I've put 30k on my spacers

Old 02-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #12

I like to read between the lines. When you say spacers won't change rear wheel alignment, you're implying they can or will change front wheel alignment, and they can or will change alignment on anything with more sophistication than a drum brake, solid axle rear end.

As for your benefits, 5 mm. more width is going to give you 5 mph more cornering ability? Where did you pull those numbers from? You have g-force figures to back this up? ABA testing? With different sets of tires? I didn't think so.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
Registered Member

Unless you race auto-x, 99.9% of drivers don't push there vehicles close enough to their limits that wheel spacers will make a difference.

However, since you are implying that you are pushing your car so far that you NEED wheel spacers, let's look at what else you're doing. You're accelerating wear on your tires, tire rod ends, shocks/struts/springs, ball joints, etc

The front end wear from high G turns will eat any fuel savings. There is a fine line somewhere between fuel savings and excess car wear, and if you NEED wheel spacers, you've blown that line clean out of the water.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #14
Banned

well i have toyos, once again, the hardest tires on the market, these tires dont suffer from wear issues like american/korean tires do

thanx but nice try

AS FAR AS ALL THOSE BALL JOINTS ECT, WELL I PAID 400$ FOR MY CAR, AND I CAN FIX WHATEVER BREAKS, NOT THAT HAVING SPACERS ON MY BACK WHEELS IS GOING TO BREAK ANYTHING

Before you're going to maul members about a topic, please read THE WHOLE THREAD FIRST.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
I like to read between the lines. When you say spacers won't change rear wheel alignment, you're implying they can or will change front wheel alignment, and they can or will change alignment on anything with more sophistication than a drum brake, solid axle rear end.

As for your benefits, 5 mm. more width is going to give you 5 mph more cornering ability? Where did you pull those numbers from? You have g-force figures to back this up? ABA testing? With different sets of tires? I didn't think so.
im imply they wont change any alignment, alignment is not based on how far your wheel sticks out, it's based on how straight that wheel is and changing the width of your car 5mmm, especially only on the back wheels, like im doing is not going to change your alignment,

SATURNS ARE PLASTIC THEY BLOW ON THE HIGHWAY IN HIGH WINDS, THIS HELPS STEADY THE CAR OUT AND SINCE IM AT 2200LBS I FEEL VERY SAFE USING SPACERS, JUST FACE IT GUYS
Old 02-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #16
Registered Member

First off, Im not 'trying' to do anything here other than have an intelligent discussion about FE saving techniques, so don't get offended if I challenge your theory.

Second off, Ive owned Toyos and you're wrong. They may not be effect AS MUCH, but wear is accelerated. It's simple physics. Besides, tire wear is only a small part of the additional wear put on the vehicle.

Quote:
AS FAR AS ALL THOSE BALL JOINTS ECT, WELL I PAID 400$ FOR MY CAR, AND I CAN FIX WHATEVER BREAKS, NOT THAT HAVING SPACERS ON MY BACK WHEELS IS GOING TO BREAK ANYTHING
It doesn't matter what you paid for the car, if you're breaking parts you're breaking parts.... Which costs money, no?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
Registered Member

You do realize that the majority of cornering forces are on the front of the car, correct? Your arguement is fundamentally flawed in two ways -

1) Spacers on the rear will not improve cornering. Any additional G-force gains you may see could be done with the stock car. As I said, you're not drivng the car that close to the edge on public streets.

2) You still have not addressed the areo aspect.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #18
Banned

I have other aero mods and I think the aero aspect is negligible because the tires are still behind the flesh line of back quarterpanels, these spacers are what have been keeping every single tank on this car ever above 30mpg, This is how I keep my mpg so high in the city without my WAI on, in the city with my wai on I am getting 34-36mpg highway 38-40 vs 27/34 epa, you dont understand what it's like to feel safe when going around a slight corner at 20mph ALL THE TIME, apparantly, and this whole bolts will snap off your car thing..

you can drive your car with a broken bolt, missing lug, it's not that big of a deal for a saturn.

I'm a hardcore mechanic, not legit pro , but been doing it constantly for 10 years, I have a very good understanding of the materials and applications, and have done all the necesaary research and checks on these before I installed them.

I only go to mechanics for alignments mean much to you? Everything else from swapping tranny's alternators,oil pans, radiators, and heater cores, I do all on my own.

But thanx for the input.

I'm more talking to sentra guy, cause hes on a roll with his anti saturn campaign.. haha jk
Old 02-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Bob View Post
First off, Im not 'trying' to do anything here other than have an intelligent discussion about FE saving techniques, so don't get offended if I challenge your theory.

Second off, Ive owned Toyos and you're wrong. They may not be effect AS MUCH, but wear is accelerated. It's simple physics. Besides, tire wear is only a small part of the additional wear put on the vehicle.

It doesn't matter what you paid for the car, if you're breaking parts you're breaking parts.... Which costs money, no?

The toyos I currently have on the wheels with the spacers, look like they did when I put them on 30k miles ago, and the front one's do too
I align my car every 10k
Old 02-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #20

This is a terrible idea.

Closed Thread