intake resonator - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Registered Member
 
93dagsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 103
Country: United States
intake resonator

ok so last week while i was putting on my new bumper, i thought it would be ok to take off my resonator. i was down there anyways so why not right? well all in all it was a success besides the part that im starting to lose my fe! i thought that restriction was the enemy of fe? i had the idea that the more free flowing the intake and exhaust the better the fe and power would be!? check out my garage and let me know what you guys think. im going to keep it on for a while just to see what happens.
__________________

__________________


http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...onda-civic.htm

stupid ricer... useless wings are for pinguins!
93dagsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
 
holypaulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 108
Country: United States
If you remove intake resonator you will lose low-end torque. Another words your car will lose power in low RPMs. I've done it and that's what happend to me.
__________________

holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 217
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93dagsr View Post
ok so last week while i was putting on my new bumper, i thought it would be ok to take off my resonator.
Not sure exactly what you mean by "resonator."

Most modern cars have an intake "resonator" that looks like tubes folded over themselves. In some cars they're metal, I think in newer ones they're plastic.

They function to increase the intake charge pressure by acoustic resonance ... in the 4 cylinder cars I've owned, they kick in at 2,500 RPM or so, and their peak function corresponds with the peak torque.

I wouldn't recommend that you remove it. You're probably better off changing your driving technique.
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_SD26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 529
Country: United States
Might have something to do with intake velocity.
__________________
Dave
GasSavers_SD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
 
93dagsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 103
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by holypaulie View Post
If you remove intake resonator you will lose low-end torque. Another words your car will lose power in low RPMs. I've done it and that's what happend to me.
yea i kinda felt that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosco View Post
Not sure exactly what you mean by "resonator."

Most modern cars have an intake "resonator" that looks like tubes folded over themselves. In some cars they're metal, I think in newer ones they're plastic.

They function to increase the intake charge pressure by acoustic resonance ... in the 4 cylinder cars I've owned, they kick in at 2,500 RPM or so, and their peak function corresponds with the peak torque.

I wouldn't recommend that you remove it. You're probably better off changing your driving technique.
exactly that. its the tube/box that goes from the intake filter to the wheel well and into the engine bay. i guess its kind of like a wai in a way. i am going to try and be a little more conservative with my driving with the intake resonator off to see what i can get from it. if i like it it will stay off if not then i will definitely put it back on.
__________________


http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...onda-civic.htm

stupid ricer... useless wings are for pinguins!
93dagsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 217
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93dagsr View Post
i am going to try and be a little more conservative with my driving with the intake resonator off to see what i can get from it. if i like it it will stay off if not then i will definitely put it back on.
You've noticed the loss in power.


BTW, would the FI be mapped to include the resonator? Is it possible that you're now running at a non-optimal fuel/air ratio?

Keep us posted on any FE changes.
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
 
93dagsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 103
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosco View Post
You've noticed the loss in power.


BTW, would the FI be mapped to include the resonator? Is it possible that you're now running at a non-optimal fuel/air ratio?

Keep us posted on any FE changes.
lol yea i noticed the difference big time in taking off the resonator. especially in first gear trying to take off!

thats what i was thinking and i talked to one of my car guys tuner (helped tune the first honda into the 10.5 sec mark in my town ) and he said that by removing the ecu fuse it will reset the af map? i tried but saw no real difference? i want to buy a VAFC or a NEO to tune it and lean it up a little. but we'll see.
__________________


http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...onda-civic.htm

stupid ricer... useless wings are for pinguins!
93dagsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_Ryland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,325
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
What part of fluid dynamics don't you understand? Wouldn't it be cool if there was a way to make it so the air going in to the engine kept up it's momentum so the engine didn't have to work as hard to pull fresh air in? oh wait! they already did that and you removed that part! that piece of the air intake was there to help your car run better, sure you might be able to baby it to get your lost mileage back, and strips some weight out of the car so you don't notice the lack of power but why?
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 217
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
that piece of the air intake was there to help your car run better, sure you might be able to baby it to get your lost mileage back, and strips some weight out of the car so you don't notice the lack of power but why?
Paralysis induced by overanalysis.
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #10
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_RoadWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,652
Hmmm, just thinking about intake resonator type devices... I wonder if it's possible to make one that takes up the momentum of high speed intake air, at higher RPM, say 5000 or so and gives it "somewhere to go" such that you can run much weaker intake valve springs and not get valve float...
__________________

__________________
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Diesel in N. Texas? JudisJetta General Fuel Topics 7 05-28-2010 09:55 AM
Gallons per Mile? nerb Fuelly Web Support and Community News 1 11-12-2008 04:33 AM
Need way to indicate a missed fuel-up entry exists silente Fuelly Web Support and Community News 7 08-20-2008 08:46 AM
New to Site FormulaTwo Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome 15 09-20-2006 08:17 AM
Throttle spring...pedal vs RPM? ZugyNA General Fuel Topics 17 08-01-2006 05:17 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.