Is 50mpg asking too much??? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-13-2006, 07:13 PM   #11
Registered Member

I hauled *** this tank and still pulled a 38.5mpg tank. I'm sure if I'm easy on the gas I can make a 40mpg+ tank.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindermant
Can 50MPG be achieved? Depending on your commute I don't see why not...

By comparison my Civic is ~200# heavier than yours, is sporting 4.07 final drive automatic transmission, and I clicked off my first 50.X MPG at this morning's fillup. No ICE off tactics - engine spinning the entire time I'm driving.

I'll argue that you need to get instrumented to really push yourself (my scangauge has been the difference), but I take it from past threads that that's not what you want to hear...
I'll wager my "butt dyno" will beat your scanguage, and I'll tell you why: anticipation! I can plan ahead for situations the scanguage only "sees" when it's too late...it's into them. -Ted Hart

Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #13
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hart
I'll wager my "butt dyno" will beat your scanguage, and I'll tell you why: anticipation! I can plan ahead for situations the scanguage only "sees" when it's too late...it's into them. -Ted Hart
That may be more difficult than you might think. There have been times when I thought I was pressing as light as possible on the pedal but, by watching the SG, I found I could let up even more and still maintain my speed. Also, there have been times when I swore that it felt like I was letting up and found that I wasn't. There are a few people who can do well without a SG or equivalent but the larger majority of the people aren't as practiced and need the extra help.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #14
Registered Member

I suspect you're referring to 2 different driving circumstances, and each of you is right for the one you're talking about.

Instrumentation can't teach proper anticipation of significant changes needed to preserve FE (ie anticipating traffic flow/lights).

Neither is the butt dyno sensitive enough to deliver feedback needed to feather the throttle to a very high degree when cruising, DWL, or bleeding speed imperceptibly.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #15
*shrug*

However, you can't tell if you're reacting properly to certain things without some sort of instantaneous/trip feedback!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #16
FE nut

Quote:
Neither is the butt dyno sensitive enough to deliver feedback needed to feather the throttle to a very high degree when cruising, DWL, or bleeding speed imperceptibly.
Someone I know of actually takes off their shoe and sock when getting real serious in driving for FE. They said it gives better control of the pedal and they were able to verify it with the SG. And yes, anticipation is important but, as SVOboy points out, the SG will will tell you how well you are reacting to that anticipation.
Edit: And no, the person mentioned isn't me; yet.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #17
*shrug*

I wear mostly worn through canvas shoes for driving, best thing I've ever used, including barefoot (yes I tested all my shoes).
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:55 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I was really amazed recently that I was correcting for inclines so perfectally that my speed would not vary more than 0.5mph - I kept looking at the MPG on the SGII and wondering why my foot moved - butt accelerometer works really well. But you're right about bleeding off speed - with the SG you can back off to 60-80mpg and slowly watch your speed decrease.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:12 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
A quick calculation of gas use shows a little less than Half a cent per minute at idle is being burned in my xB if at 0.1gph = 2.133oz/minute. At $3.00 per gallon it would be $0.005 per minute.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:12 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hart
The scangauge isn't driving the car, you are. On one hand you have your "butt dyno" and anticipation. On the other hand you have your "butt dyno", anticipation AND a scangauge. I wouldn't hesitate to be on the other side of your wager as long as your "butt dyno" isn't better than my "butt dyno".

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote