It Begins: Winter's Fury - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

It Begins: Winter's Fury

Currently, I'm in warm Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina on some training (65 degrees, sunny). Other members in training report that Kansas City is getting pounded by Sleet/Ice/Freezing Rain/then about 8" expected of snow on top of that this afteroon to evening.

First thing being first -- I'm not sure how quickly they'll get the airport cleared(changing planes in Charlotte, NC -- so no problem there).

Then when I get home, probably a 1/8" ice on the car, with copious snow. This has to kill FE. I'm going to try to reduce idle time, but I may have to get some heat onto the glass surfaces to break the ice loose.

For those who haven't visited our airport, it's a series of 3 semi-circular terminals, arranged in a circle. It's quite easy to practically park at your gate. Down the road, a private company has covered parking at the same price, but you have to wait for a bus (which is why I quit using them in warm weather -- I reduce wait time whenever possible). It looks like I'll have to check the Weather more frequently now -- but Winter's here in reality, but not on paper.

*This area here is where those who live North of me or already have this Weather (such as in Canada, Minnesota, the Rockies, or even Finland) can toss-in the cold weather jabs*

RH77

Old 11-30-2006, 07:52 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
*This area here is where those who live North of me or already have this Weather (such as in Canada, Minnesota, the Rockies, or even Finland) can toss-in the cold weather jabs*
Not from me! Apparently winter is moving west to east this week. Here in eastern Ontario, we're still in very mild (for this time of year) weather - about 15* C / 60* F today.

Though the same front that hit Kansas is coming fast - temps are supposed to plummet and we're supposed to have snow by tomorrow AM.

Good luck chipping the ice off when you get home

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #3
Supporting Member

I've been salting and scraping the sidewalks all day. There saying 4-6" snow. Yay! at least I won't have to chip it off the sidewalks. I'm from rural west tennessee, this might as well be an artic temp for me.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
Driving on E

3 days of snow... my n600 is covered. I'm waiting for it to melt to do anything.

And I still have yardwork to do too
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Currently, I'm in warm Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina on some training (65 degrees, sunny).

Then when I get home, probably a 1/8" ice on the car, with copious snow. This has to kill FE. I'm going to try to reduce idle time, but I may have to get some heat onto the glass surfaces to break the ice loose.

RH77
Heating cold glass is risky! "CRACK!" Do this... when you get out of the car, place a square of cardboard (water-proof mat'l?) under your windshield wiper (s?). Next time you leave...just pull off the "patch" (with the heater / defroster "on"?). Eureka! Clear! no scrapping! No sweat! -from a guy in RDU area... Nice & warm!
Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

Ice on windshield?

Just place a piece of (waterproof?) cardboard-like material under your windshield wiper (both?) when you leave it. Come back to a snowed in mess...remove the material...turn on heater, drive on! -RDU area driver - Ah! Double post! I'm faster than this site!
Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
Registered Member

Dude , wheres my , Oh , never mind.--Here it is

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
Registered Member

Snowing here in Oklahoma. Started in to work this am. Said **** it. Turned around and came back home. Got 42 mpg on the 42 mile drive. Also getting about one hour per oz. of Southern Comfort.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #9
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
low of 62 here in jersey tonight. wait you said december is tomorrow??? horray for global warming....
Old 11-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #10
Registered Member

I am still waiting. I am an avid snowboarder and I am waiting for so temps in the 20s so the resorts can make some snow.

I am always wishing for a cold november/december and a cold march/april so it can be a long ski season.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote