Its getting hot - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
Supporting Member

Its getting hot

as summer fast approces i would like some opinions on how to stay cool with out the a/c. 4 windows and a sun roof is what i have to work with. Under 45 i have the front windows down. over 45 i have just the sun roof open. I started hypermiling in the winter so idk what to do.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Registered Member

Switch the AC over to vent mode. It will blow air in without using any power other than a little electricity for the fan. It's much better than the AC. What I'm going to do once summer hits though is to be decided. I'm thinking about seeing what I can do about finding a vortex area near the front of the car where I might be able to build an aerodynamic vent to funnel more air in.

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
Supporting Member

while you are on what is the speed u drive at on the highway to get those amazing #s
Old 03-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
Registered Member

Summer

If Summers in Nebraska are anything like Kansas, you almost have to use the A/C or bake.

I modulate the A/C use manually by pressing the button on/off when it get comfortable and then too humid -- but I try to tolerate it as best as possible until the cabin gets too warm.

Rolling down the windows at speed isn't good on aerodynamics, so some tricks would be to get a water mister with plug-in fan, ice-chest and fan for long trips, or just roast. The 'Teg can hold on to a charge of cool air for about 2-minutes of EOC-coasting or sitting (full-blower, recirc).

Climates like the Plains States are just harsh for FE: bitter cold in Winter, Hot and Humid in the summer.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
while you are on what is the speed u drive at on the highway to get those amazing #s
I drive about 52 mph. But here it's always hot out, the ground is flat as a board, and I'm always being passed. I also put acetone into the gas tank which does make a difference on my car because the car isn't maintained very well and has alot of crap built up inside of the tank and engine. My tires are very overinflated, I never use AC, I use premium fuel (makes a difference on this car), and only drive it when it's too far to bike. Also, the Green Machine is a DX and yours is an EX. Your car eats more gas and has more power and torque.

To be honest, the mileage doesn't seem possible to me, but it's happening. There must be something "wrong" with my engine. The car acts funny, feels like I'm driving on a dirt road when I idle, and the maintenance light comes on about once per month. Until it stops running or my FE drops, I'm not getting it looked at.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Supporting Member

thanks for some of the tips im tryin really hard to get 30 so i hope this helps
Old 03-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
as summer fast approces i would like some opinions on how to stay cool with out the a/c. 4 windows and a sun roof is what i have to work with. Under 45 i have the front windows down. over 45 i have just the sun roof open. I started hypermiling in the winter so idk what to do.
I would think that the sunroof would be more of an aero liability then just cracking the windows. Need to do so FE testing on that. Crack the drivers side window and the opposite rear window. It will create a cross draft and with the fan it will make it manageable. Or treat it like a bike commute and were shorts and a T-shirt and shower when you get there
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #8
Registered Member

You haven't even gotten above 30 yet? You can do much better with your car. It takes practice, but you need to try to hold a constant speed on flat ground. In the event of a hill (better known as a bridge in Florida), I've found that it's best to just keep your foot steady on the way up if it's a short hill and let the car slow down. Pick up speed again slowly at the top or on the way back down. With the slushbox in the Accords, when you're accelerating even slowly, your RPM's go up about 400 RPM's. As soon as you start to coast at a steady speed, it drops to around 2000 at 52 mph (I think, but I'm not certain about the exact RPM since my speedometer and RPM guages tend to get stuck and skip around).
Old 03-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #9
Supporting Member

yeah i started in the winter so i think thats a big part of it. i usaly cruse at exactly 2500 rpm at 58mph. i never go over 4k rpm or 65 a whoal tank. Hills are a huge factor here it does say nebraska but i live on bluffs that have big elevation changes. by the way to u eoc or just normal driving. and i did see something about a extra cat. i think thats somthing i would lookinto b/c i drive 50 miles ++ a day and i feel bad about the poluting
Old 03-13-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
Registered Member

Window tint! I can't even explain to you of how well it keeps a car cool. Utterly amazing stuff.

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote