I've come full circle - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

I've come full circle

Hello all.

I used to contribute on this forum back when it first started. My interest for my car changed from fuel economy to power so I fell out of the FE world. I had hopes of boosting my del Sol to 400-500whp and making it somewhat of a show car. All that has changed now. It's picked up little dings and dents from careless people in parking lots, still burns oil, isn't running quite right anymore (see post in General Tech), paint chipping, and I have no idea when I'll have the money for turbo, it was stolen at one point and never been quite the same... all these little things that would need to be addressed before being show worthy. I almost think it would be easier to buy a new car someday when I have the money to do this and start from scratch. It's hard to build a pristine car out of a daily driver.

So for the first time I'm considering selling my del Sol. My immediate first thought was to get a CRX HF and use the extra money fixing it up. Then I started thinking about the 2002 Civic Si Hatchback. It's not especially fuel efficient, but it's better than what I'm getting now, and it'd be a good compromise for the "cool" factor. But, I've always had a fondness of 5th gen Civic Hatchbacks even though I've never owned one. When I found out about the VX trim I was pretty much sold. I'm hoping to sell my del Sol, buy a VX hatch, and have a couple thousand left over. Spend maybe $1,000 fixing up the VX and put the rest away in the bank.

So here I am again, back in search of better MPG. My del Sol is only getting around 25mpg highway (on premium gas) and still burns a fair amount of oil. My wife and I just moved out into the country and the two closest big cities are an hour away. After hearing about the VX being the ultimate highway driving machine, I've got to have one! And I can't wait to go back to buying regular gas. Just wanted to say hello again, and let everyone know I'll hopefully be back to doing more experiments.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Registered Member

Good to see you back.
Hope you find a nice VX for your highway runs!

For a Honda noob like myself, um, what's a VX and what years etc. are good? I do lots of highway driving. I'm always keeping an eye out for the next thing to get when our Volvos finally give up the ghost.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

A VX is a trim of the '92-'95 generation Civics. It uses a VTEC-E engine and has a lean burn feature (don't know any details about it, other than that it works well).

About Hondas in general, early generations got really good gas mileage. The HF and then the VX are really up there in MPG (going by EPA). Then there's the newer HXs that are still good, but not as good as the others.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

Welcome Back!

Welcome back Any leads on a decent VX in your area?

-Rick
Old 07-30-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Supporting Member

welcome back to gs. i would love to get a vx someday also
Old 07-31-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Welcome back Any leads on a decent VX in your area?

-Rick
There was a VX on eBay a few days ago in my area, but I hadn't completely made up my mind yet, and I was being kind of picky. I know Honda engines will last almost forever, but this one had 300k+ miles and I decided to let it go (plus the starting bid was way too high considering its problems and age). My plan is to keep an eye on eBay and be willing to drive halfway across country or ship for a really good condition VX.