junkyarding soon, need engine codes - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

junkyarding soon, need engine codes

I'm looking for a junkyard engine swap... hoping to find a VX w/ engine still assembled, I know I'm flying a kite here, but I can hope right? First gonna find an engine, disassemble, freshen it up, resassemble, then search for a hatchback w/o engine/trans.

What engine codes should I look for? I know the VX is D15Z1 and the stamp will be visible from the front of the block w/ hood popped, and also vtec-e on the valve cover... but what about the hx engine? What is that engine code? Can someone list engine codes from BEST to WORST, please only give 3 codes as I'm unwilling to get a standard LX engine or something, I want to build a MPG machine.

Also, where do you locate transmission codes, and how do I tell if I've found an HF trans in a CRX? What is the next to best transmission in the civics and where is the code stamped? What year transmissions are compatible w/ what year engines w/ little to no modification? I don't want to get in over my head, just looking for things that will swap together.

Thanks!

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
What engine codes should I look for?
D15Z1...easiest to swap into the 92-95 civic chassis.
Quote:
I know the VX is D15Z1 and the stamp will be visible from the front of the block w/ hood popped, and also vtec-e on the valve cover...
Only the 94-95 VX will have the VTEC-E valve cover. The 92-93 VX has a plain vailve cover that says Honda.
Quote:
but what about the hx engine? What is that engine code?
D16Y5 It's OBD2 and not designed as well to get great MPG, a hassle to switch over to the OBD2 ECU, especially if a Z1 is available.
Quote:
What year transmissions are compatible w/ what year engines w/ little to no modification?
88-91 transmissions are cable actuated clutches so you want to keep those transmission in their respective year chassis for ease of use/setup. 92-00 Transmissions are a Hydraulic actuated clutch and are best to keep in those respective year chassis.
Quote:
I don't want to get in over my head, just looking for things that will swap together.

Thanks!
Stick with the D15Z1 and the VX/CX trans and you'll be good to go. Just be sure to grab the EGR control box (black box with some vacuum lines going to it on the center of the firewall) with your swap as well as the engine harness.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote