Just ordered an EFIE - BrightGreen FeverBuster - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
XFi
Registered Member
 
XFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 323
Country: United States
Just ordered an EFIE - BrightGreen FeverBuster

Just ordered the 'FeverBuster-A' from BrightGreen Inc.
Electronic Fuel Injection Enhancer (EFIE)

http://www.brightgreen.us/feverbus.htm

Wondering who else here has or is running a similar device? How did it work leaning out the car? Any substantial increase in fuel economy? Any negatives?
I am traveling into unknown territory! Any tips?
I will post my results in this thread.

Another popular one I found was Eagle Research's. Available as plans or preassembled.
http://www.eagle-research.com/store/...8f67f8671dc540
__________________

__________________
--------------
XFi

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
 
ZugyNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 587
Country: United States
I've used the Eagle Research EFIE...have one in my truck to test when I get some other things done to it....like the odometer fixed.

All I can say is that you have to let the ECU adjust to the change...it's not an on/off kind of deal. Make gradual changes.

Be sure you connect it right.

You should gain some mpg from using one alone, but they are mainly meant to be used along with other mods like fuel heat or acetone.

But each car will act differently. If you have a scangauge...it will be easier to tweak.
__________________

__________________
Leading the perpetually ignorant and uninformed into the light of scientific knowledge. Did I really say that?

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
XFi
Registered Member
 
XFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 323
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugyNA View Post
...You should gain some mpg from using one alone, but they are mainly meant to be used along with other mods like fuel heat or acetone...
Thanks for the input ZugyNA.

Just got back from a business trip and the EFIE was waiting for me at home.

Hopefully, I will install it Sun/Mon. I was also looking at heating the fuel...one step at a time.
__________________
--------------
XFi

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
 
holypaulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 108
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi View Post
Just ordered the 'FeverBuster-A' from BrightGreen Inc.
Electronic Fuel Injection Enhancer (EFIE)

http://www.brightgreen.us/feverbus.htm

Wondering who else here has or is running a similar device? How did it work leaning out the car? Any substantial increase in fuel economy? Any negatives?
I am traveling into unknown territory! Any tips?
I will post my results in this thread.

Another popular one I found was Eagle Research's. Available as plans or preassembled.
http://www.eagle-research.com/store/...8f67f8671dc540
How much did you pay for this ?
holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
Supporting Member
 
cfg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,779
Country: United States
XFi -

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi View Post
Just ordered the 'FeverBuster-A' from BrightGreen Inc.
Electronic Fuel Injection Enhancer (EFIE)

http://www.brightgreen.us/feverbus.htm

Wondering who else here has or is running a similar device? How did it work leaning out the car? Any substantial increase in fuel economy? Any negatives?
I am traveling into unknown territory! Any tips?
I will post my results in this thread.

Another popular one I found was Eagle Research's. Available as plans or preassembled.
http://www.eagle-research.com/store/...8f67f8671dc540
I have the eagle-research EFIE one. I also have a digital AFR gauge :

Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR) Gauge Online ...
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=4741

I know the EFIE works because I can see the AFR go lean, and I can feel the engine lose power. However, it looks like you won't notice a difference on your scangauge :

Civic HX and Scanguage?
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=4940

Which has a URL link to here :

Re: New SG Firmware Thread.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showp...65&postcount=8
Quote:
With the Query/Response configurable gauges it my be possible to "ask the right question" of the ECU to determine if it's in lean burn. Then we would just need to sit down with Ron and figure out how to program up a custom gauge that takes the mixture into account.

For what it's worth, the Prius has the same problem. Right now SGII calculates fuel consumption using two variables, RPM and engine size. On the Prius when the RPM drops below 1000, the injectors cut out. You can get the car to do this at 60 mph if you have strong 6 bar SoC. Problem is that SGII doesn't account for the fuel-cut.
Sooooo, unless you have an A/F gauge (you can make an LED one for cheap). I think that you have to watch your gas gauge to see the improvement.

CarloSW2
__________________
Old School SW2 EPA ... New School Civic EPA :

What's your EPA MPG? http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:40 AM   #6
XFi
Registered Member
 
XFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 323
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by holypaulie View Post
How much did you pay for this ?
The Fever Buster costs more than the Eagle Research...
The Eagle Research's is 60.00...
http://www.eagle-research.com/store/...d7b6495dee66b2
The similar FeverBuster-B is 93.00
I purchased the FeverBuster-A for 155.00
http://www.brightgreen.us/orders.htm
After talking with the owners of BrightGreen (small family company), I was sold by their assurance of a higher quality product and opted for the 'A' Model with the on/off switch already built in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
XFi -
I have the eagle-research EFIE one. I also have a digital AFR gauge...

...Sooooo, unless you have an A/F gauge (you can make an LED one for cheap). I think that you have to watch your gas gauge to see the improvement.
CarloSW2
CarloSW2, Thanks for all the info and the heads up on the ScanGaugeII...I probably would have been scratching my head thinking that I didn't have it hooked up right, or I just spent my money for nothing.
__________________
--------------
XFi

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
Supporting Member
 
cfg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,779
Country: United States
XFi -

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi View Post
The Fever Buster costs more than the Eagle Research...
The Eagle Research's is 60.00...
http://www.eagle-research.com/store/...d7b6495dee66b2
The similar FeverBuster-B is 93.00
I purchased the FeverBuster-A for 155.00
http://www.brightgreen.us/orders.htm
After talking with the owners of BrightGreen (small family company), I was sold by their assurance of a higher quality product and opted for the 'A' Model with the on/off switch already built in.
Most excellent. I had to jury-rig my own. You may be very right on the quality issue. One thing that the Eagle Research doesn't tell you until after you bought the gizmo is that it is temperature sensitive. That is not cool, because it means that for ease of use, you need to discover a middle-ground setting that will work for when the gizmo is hot or cold. I think I will create an "insulation box" for it down the line. The adjuster on the $60 one is a joke, you can't attach a knob onto it because it is a teeny-tiny screw that you spin.

Quote:
CarloSW2, Thanks for all the info and the heads up on the ScanGaugeII...I probably would have been scratching my head thinking that I didn't have it hooked up right, or I just spent my money for nothing.
Yeah, the only time you'd know the thing was working was when it was so lean that the engine was running rough (not Ruff!!!).

CarloSW2
__________________
Old School SW2 EPA ... New School Civic EPA :

What's your EPA MPG? http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 675
Country: United States
Does anyone have any time/mileage gaslog, which reflects a before/after value for any mileage improvements from using one of these devices?
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #9
Supporting Member
 
cfg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,779
Country: United States
Gary -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
Does anyone have any time/mileage gaslog, which reflects a before/after value for any mileage improvements from using one of these devices?
I don't have one because I don't know how to quantify it. Also the behavior on mine isn't as I expected. On mine, it doesn't move from an average 14.7 to an average 14.7 + bias X. Instead, it creeps up to a higher average, and later on dips back down to 14.7 for a while. This is probably the influence of the second 02 sensor that is used to keep the catalytic converter healthy.

EDIT : *IF* it did work as originally expected, I could predict and test for fuel savings based on the new AF ratio.

I need to get my butt in gear and publish my installation.

CarloSW2
__________________
Old School SW2 EPA ... New School Civic EPA :

What's your EPA MPG? http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:52 AM   #10
Registered Member
 
ZugyNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 587
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
XFi -

Most excellent. I had to jury-rig my own. You may be very right on the quality issue. One thing that the Eagle Research doesn't tell you until after you bought the gizmo is that it is temperature sensitive. That is not cool, because it means that for ease of use, you need to discover a middle-ground setting that will work for when the gizmo is hot or cold. I think I will create an "insulation box" for it down the line. The adjuster on the $60 one is a joke, you can't attach a knob onto it because it is a teeny-tiny screw that you spin.

Yeah, the only time you'd know the thing was working was when it was so lean that the engine was running rough (not Ruff!!!).

CarloSW2
Yes the ER EFIE is temp sensitive so you want to place it in the cabin in a neutral zone away from heater/AC flow and sun. The temp sensitivity might be planned. Why? Cause you'd want it to put out less mvs when starting up cold...so your car will run right....more mvs after warmup.

No. You DON'T want to try adjusting it while driving. Don't ask how I know.

The ER EFIE has been redesigned...new board. I'd put the board in a small plastic box.

I think the FeverBuster is more for '96 and later cars.

Not sure I'd pay extra for a switch though...since they work by slowly being adjusted to the ECU....once tweaked...you'd want to leave them alone?

I think the FeverBuster tweaking instructions make more sense though....start low and work up? Where as ER says to start around 300 mvs.

I have limited experience with one car (ER EFIE) and ended up adjusting it to around 200 mvs or so....anything above this caused poor running starting out cold.

The FeverBuster idea of using a vac gauge to adjust it is something I'll have to try.
__________________

__________________
Leading the perpetually ignorant and uninformed into the light of scientific knowledge. Did I really say that?

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.