K&N Air filter + HAI? Come discuss. - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #21
Registered Member

Point is spot, you come into random threads and throw out even more random input.

What does your caulk have to do with a K&N filter or a HAI?

...and global warming?

C'mon guy, ease off the cough syrup.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #22
Registered Member

Rule of Thumb:
Better cleaning = Less wear.
Better air flow = better performance.

Huge numbers of heavy trucks use Donaldson air filters.

Donaldson Endurance Heavy Duty Air Filters
Exclusive nanofiber technology offers longer engine life, longer filter life, initial efficiency up to 99.99 percent and five times more capacity. Guaranteed to deliver twice the miles between change intervals over cellulose air filters for on-highway applications.

By the strangest coincidence the filter media is the same used by Amsoil.
My Amsoil Ea air filter has Nanofiber technology for the auto/light truck market. Media removes 5 times more dust than traditional cellulose filters and 50 times more dust than wet gauze. Unmatched 4-year/100,000-mile guarantee.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #23
Banned

caulking around headlights keeps in the warm air/better yet keeps out the cold air/allows your car to recycle heat at a higher rate.
spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #24
Registered Member

I have used K&N for.. geez, over 20 years now, and swear by them. I even spray a tiny bit of the oil into the intake after the filter, to see how much gets through, and it's pretty much none. I put a K&N on my RV (454ci), because after going to Burning Man, in the high alkaline desert, my performance paper filter seemed to not filter at all. There was alot of dust everywhere after the filter. After putting on the K&N, which was so clogged with dust after about 10 miles, that I thought it would stop working (I cleaned it out in a truck stop bathroom), there was no dust in the intake after it. The Alkaline dust is like Baby powder, and infiltrates EVERYTHING.
I even oil my window screens.
fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #25
Registered Member

this seems to back your view...http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm but, naturally they would defend their product.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #26
Registered Member

I've half heartedly decided to not register the SL1 until November when my insurance angency assures me 2 good things will happen. #1 I'll hit 25 years old and get a nice break, and #2 all my "violations" will be 3+ years old and not show up on their background check and my rates will adjust down A LOT.

Simply cant (don't want to) afford insuring another car right now. Maybe the Miata, or the Camaro... but not another daily driver.

All that being said, when I do get it on the road, it'll most likely have a K&N in there.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #27
Registered Member

By the way, I'm not worried about Bobtheoilguy's findings about filtration, because I change my oil about every 4K miles. The microscopic particles that get past won't harm anything. It's a trade-off, as is everything in life.
I've had my current K&N cone filter for about 5 years now, and it's been through every kind of weather I can think of, including driving through a tornado in Texas. When it was brand new, I didn't tighten it right, and it fell off, and got run over. I tweaked it back into shape (it wasn't bad), and it's still fine. The special cleaner for it smells exactly like Windex, so I've used that alot on it, and sometimes mineral oil, instead of the red stuff. So, if you wanted to save a few extra bucks with it, you could do the same. It's just cotton, and Stainles steel, so you could use alot of different stuff. I found the K&N recharge kit at a Thrift store, so I'm using it again
Also, I've had my Ram air setup on for about a year, so I get alot of junk, and insects stuck in it.
fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #28
Registered Member

Those of you using K&N, or other oil filters, how long does it take to clean, dry, and re-oil the filter? I currently have a replacement K&N filter on my wife's Sable, and used to have the cone on the Ranger, and they, particularly the cone, would take awhile to dry. So the filter was off for nearly two days.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #29

i usually plan a day around cleaning the filters. let the cleaner soak for about an hour the wash and let dry. reoil it just before i put it back in.
kit352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
It might make sense to have two, if they're cheap...have one ready to install, on standby.