Old 07-31-2007, 07:45 PM   #21
Registered Member

popimp

On the bottle

ACEA
A1/B1
ILSAC GF-4
API SM,SL/CF

All I know is Ive been using M1 for years. My Ranger doesn't like it. Its the only car / light truck Ive had that disliked M1. For some reason it likes to burn it and rattle.

So until some lab rats can tell me its for sure not the oil it use to be. I guess I will keep using it. I think its the best off the self oil available in my area. And I will keep running on the long OCI's

psy

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 PM   #22
Supporting Member

after i took out my k&n my #s went up really easy. it was actually killing my mileage. it went up from NEVER being able to beat 30 to way over 30

Old 08-01-2007, 02:41 AM   #23
Registered Member

Wow, I'm glad I read this thread. Any paper filter brands you would receommend?

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:50 AM   #24
Registered Member

On second thought, is it possible you guys aren't cleaning your K&N's properly? I usually clean mine with every oil change. I'm pretty sure mine is doing its job, because during the winter time when there was a lot of salt dust everywhere, the thing would plug up and I'd have to clean it often.

Also, I'd have to double check, but last time I looked my wife's Saturn (paper filter) had more dust "on the wrong side of the filter" than mine does -- a very thing coating of fine particles down the length of the intake snorkel. I don't remember seeing that on mine.

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #25
Stay true to the Game!

I think FRAM is pretty good and readily available. I use Amsoil EA Air filter. Their supposed to be good for 100,000 miles or 4 years. Easy cleaning using shop air or a vacuuming no oils no mess.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SunfireRaz
Hum

I bone dry the car until I can put in atleast 13.5 gallons. Thats how I am calculating Miles per tank. I know I could just divide, but.......im lazy like that.
I can only comment on my experience with the K&N-I did research online and decided to try it.
I am running the prestone platinum synthetic oil at 5w30. Supposedly oil change every 75k. We will see.....
SunfireRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #27
Supporting Member

psyshack -

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
I picked up my M1 0w-20 and Wix filter today for the MZ3's first oil change.

Screw the K&N

I'll keep running my M1 at 10k mile OCI's or better.

psy
I just switched to Wix on your advice. My K&N seemed Ok, but all the other posts in this thread make me wonder.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapybob View Post
Whoever wrote that about synthetic oil was wrong, that's all. Reduce friction, improve efficiency. That's well documented elsewhere. I use the thinnest synthetic I can get away with, in the engines, transmissions, power steering, rear end, etc, and that does work.

As for K & N air filter, that certainly isn't going to help mpg unless you happen to be replacing a badly plugged paper filter with it.
The very best Syn Oil in the world will improve MPG by only a slight amount, almost negligable, to be sure. I've proven it for myself, as have many others.
MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:53 AM   #29
Registered Member

I've been splitting the difference between medium/low cost dino oil and high end synthetic. Been using WalMart synthetic, in the recommended weight for my car (10-30) it's about $3/qt.

I figure it's likely not as good as Mobil One or other top shelf synthetics - but definitely should be better than cheapo $1.50-$2.00/qt dino oil. FWIW. I used to change it out at 3K miles but I hope/plan to go 4K as long as it doesn't look nasty.

And change out a couple qt. of auto trans fluid at the same time, this gives me a rolling change of tranny fluid so I don't have to pay major $$ to change it all out at once. That way I think I can afford synthetic tranny fluid.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:55 AM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
psyshack -

I just switched to Wix on your advice. My K&N seemed Ok, but all the other posts in this thread make me wonder.

CarloSW2
I will only be using the Wix for the first oil change. Will more than likely move on ti PureOne for the second oil change. You cant go wrong with wix oil or Air filters.

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote