Kiwi MPG review - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
Registered Member

OK, did a quick once over and there's nothing too surprising given the feature list I had before. You can set the fuel type, tank size, fuel cost, units for volume and distance, as well as a calibration value to improve the mpg accuracy. Glad to see that last one's in there!

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #12
Registered Member

after all that time and the thing is defective? have you tried plugging it in at all? you could ohm out the wires to make sure they are making contact.

still puts a sour taste in your mouth about them. never had that problem with a scangauge.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:11 AM   #13
Registered Member

I have a "hands off" policy towards damaged stuff. I'm sure it probably works, I just want to keep it in as original shape as possible for an exchange. If it were cheaper I'd just fix it. I've done that with some Harbor Freight stuff that arrived busted. I guess I could plug it in just to see how bright the display is and stuff. That way I wouldn't need to recoil the cord.

I wonder what this says about my personality? Cowardly but patient?

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 05-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #14
Registered Member

you could just say to send you a new cable and send pics of the jacked up cable. that is if it works.

I have a bad habbit of voiding warranties and trying to fix stuff.

I guess your poilcy is a good one especially if you are ever thinking of getting rid of it. I noticed that a lot of the comands on it look almost like code. probably due to the 7 segment displays that they chose to use. I don't really notice it as much on the scangauge even though they only use 3 characters but they arent 7 segment displays.

for me, that would take some getting used to.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
That's not cowardly, that's smart. There's a difference.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Sucks about the Kiwi, they need to improve quality control which can be hard in a small company.

As far as the camera is concerned. It probably had trouble because of the plain surface in the middle of the picture. The camera relies on contrast to adjust focus and that screen doesn't have much. If you center the area with the wires you should be able to get much closer. Or you could use the manual focus, if it has one.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #17
Registered Member

We had a big Kiwi for review at CleanMPG, and it was functional but very poorly put together. The screen was crooked with gaps around it, and the whole thing felt cheap and flimsy. Even Wayne's very non-technical mother called it a "pretty piece of garbage".

And it was nearly useless in actual driving. Reset on every engine stop? What if you key off at a red light?
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:13 AM   #18
Registered Member

I'm still willing to give it a shot. I can always Ebay it for most of what I paid. The seller got right back to me and is paying for it to be shipped back. The first batch was apparently hand assembled and they've had a few other problems with some of them. They actually have a new shipment arriving tomorrow so there shouldn't be any delay getting me a new one. Offered me a refund if I preferred as well.

So far, not grooving on PLX, but the reseller has been doing pretty well with a difficult situation.

co de pen den cy

Old 05-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #19
Registered Member

the way I feel about ebayers or others like amazon. they are selling a product. they can't help if the product doesn't meet what was promised.

I usually rate them on shipping (if they did what they promised to do) and if there is an issue, how they handled it.

sounds like you have gotten a hold of a good one. he has offered you a refund twice now which is big of him and he is taking care of shipping.

he can't help it if the thing is broke.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #20
Registered Member

Too bad it arrived busted. I was looking forward to a real world performance test of it.

I am glad that the seller is making good on it anyway. Hopefully when you get the replacement, it will be better and you will be able to use it and report on it's functionality.