Lean Burn 1991 Talon AWD Auto - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #31
Registered Member

Re: Lean Burn 1991 Talon AWD Auto

It's not about the destination, it's the journey.
So long as you can afford to keep dropping in new rings/pistons, more power to ya!
38psi, wow, that seems like a lot of boost. My old 740 only pushes 11-13psi, me thinks.
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #32
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfrogg View Post
It's not about the destination, it's the journey.
So long as you can afford to keep dropping in new rings/pistons, more power to ya!
38psi, wow, that seems like a lot of boost. My old 740 only pushes 11-13psi, me thinks.
B
You got that right!!!

The cost isn't to bad, what were doing is using stock used turbo pistons that we have laying around. This is all for testing purpose's Our new engines will be built with all new parts.

The car flat hauls the mail. Were seeing 0 to 60mph under 3.5 seconds. With quarter mile times around 11.0.

On my car were going to do some pre-turbo water meth/injection testing. This should help with the detonation. Plus add some more air flow by increasing the efficiency of the turbo.

Its one of those things that we know on race fuel we would have meet our goals but were trying to achieve this on pump fuel alone.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfrogg View Post
Literally more power.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #34
Lean Burn Mode

Well here's some carnage pics. LOL

First piston.

Second piston

The cars up and running again after another 5 hours of work.

What we found out that it took out number four piston again. Were going to be changing the knock sensor because we don't think its working?

But after digging into this a little further we spotted the problem. Number fours injector wiring has a bare wire showing that looks like its about to break.

The car has a misfire every once an a while that we can't seem to find until now. So this might be our problem after all this.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #35
Registered Member

Hey, pgfpro, haven't been around for awhile. Looks like you've had some work cut out for you. Looks like you most likely found your detonation problem. I'm about done with my fairing on the proto-bike and have most all our electronics figured out with all the algorithms finalized. It should be back on the road in a couple weeks. I still have some of the fairing to complete and basic mechanical's. You can see it on the blog, if you don't have the site I'll give it to you. I'm anxious to get the software written and installed. I had some pre-detonation issues and feel like I can get it all under control under any atmospheric or environmental condition with the new software and electronics that piggy backs the Micro-squirt EFI system.
Sounds like your moving along quite nicely. Hope you get the nasty detonation under control. Gets to be a big pain in the ars after awhile! I went through three motors before getting it figured out. keep up the good work.
Peace.
naturalextraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #36
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalextraction View Post
Hey, pgfpro, haven't been around for awhile. Looks like you've had some work cut out for you. Looks like you most likely found your detonation problem. I'm about done with my fairing on the proto-bike and have most all our electronics figured out with all the algorithms finalized. It should be back on the road in a couple weeks. I still have some of the fairing to complete and basic mechanical's. You can see it on the blog, if you don't have the site I'll give it to you. I'm anxious to get the software written and installed. I had some pre-detonation issues and feel like I can get it all under control under any atmospheric or environmental condition with the new software and electronics that piggy backs the Micro-squirt EFI system.
Sounds like your moving along quite nicely. Hope you get the nasty detonation under control. Gets to be a big pain in the ars after awhile! I went through three motors before getting it figured out. keep up the good work.
Peace.
I would love to have the blog sites address? You should do a write up on your bike on this site that would be awesome!!! You have a lot to contribute. I sure did benefit from your wisdom!

We hope the injector wiring is our problem. I still do things the old fasion way. Take it to the limit then back it down some to make it live.

The stock cast turbo pistons are a real blessing. They usually just take out the ring land under detonation without killing the cylinder. I have found when you detonate a forge piston it will usually pinch the compression rings then scuff the side of the piston and the cylinder wall to where you will have to bore it out again and replace the piston of course. In our case we have killed two pistons in the same hole and the cylinder mics out great!

The FE side of this equation sure is a lot more forgiving and a lot easier on the body. Can't wait to get this part behind us so we can finish the FE side of things.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #37
Registered Member

Yes, it's nice your pistons get the landing knocked out. Mine were putting a .40 hole in the middle of the piston, still no damage to the cylinder. Here is the site for my project. Since your a motor head you might like this one with some of my other projects. Trying to tame the work load down though. We'll be working to install our ULB system on a handful of regular vehicles later this year and I may install one of my larger ACVC engines in one of my Dusters by years end. Time is the biggest factor as you very well know! Your system if fairly close to my ULB. If I can ever get the patents to go through I'd be happy to share that information with you. It won't take much for you to be able to run multiple fuels without detonation and a bit higher mileage. Patent writing truly sucks!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #38
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Yes, it's nice your pistons get the landing knocked out. Mine were putting a .40 hole in the middle of the piston, still no damage to the cylinder. Here is the site for my project. Since your a motor head you might like this one with some of my other projects. Trying to tame the work load down though. We'll be working to install our ULB system on a handful of regular vehicles later this year and I may install one of my larger ACVC engines in one of my Dusters by years end. Time is the biggest factor as you very well know! Your system if fairly close to my ULB. If I can ever get the patents to go through I'd be happy to share that information with you. It won't take much for you to be able to run multiple fuels without detonation and a bit higher mileage. Patent writing truly sucks!
Awesome blog!!! Lots of cool stuff you have on the table.

Well a little update, we got the car to stop eating pistons. It was the wiring to the injector plug as we thought. We now are going to start testing a new electronic twin scroll turbo.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #39
Registered Member

when you say it was the wiring, was it grounding out somewhere, continuity problem, just curious.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #40
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
when you say it was the wiring, was it grounding out somewhere, continuity problem, just curious.
One of the wires that goes into the injector clip had only three copper strands instead of around thirty that make up a normal wire.

We couldn't see it because the plastic injector plug was hiding it.

So far the car is running great!!!