LED headlamp replacements - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

LED headlamp replacements

Although a few cars already have stock LED headlights and I guess we are getting closer to general automotive LED headlamp replacements for all vehicles which should give some improved efficiency; in terms of FE how much improvement could replacing headlamps to LED give. Looking at aircraft sites I see that LED landing lights have been in use for awhile.

Irrespective of costs involved would installing a pair of the AeroSunLites, VisionX lamps or other aircraft landing lamps of the 4 - 8 LED variety to replace stock automotive headlamps give some measurable FE improvement and still give sufficient nighttime driving light, ability to dim the lamps for oncoming traffic, etc;

http://www.aeroleds.com/product.html

http://www.visionxoffroad.com/Products/LED/XmitterBar/

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article...070725/136768/

Greybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Registered Member

thier cool but for $700 a pair it would take YEARS to offset the difference...

sicne you can get a replacement headlight for $8...

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
Registered Member

I think I'll check at the local Audi, Lexus and GM Cadillac dealerships to find out which models have LED headlights and what those prices are, look at how those could be incorporated into a Nissan headlamp holder, and then see what might be available from auto wreckers. If I wait a year or two Nissan may have an OE LED headlamp for my truck or similar though, but also at dealership prices.

Greybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
Registered Member

I've been asking myself a similar question lately: Why aren't LED replacement headlight bulbs on the market for cars yet? They last forever, are very bright, and use less energy than halogen bulbs. Seems like a no-brainer to me. HID-type bulbs are bright, but my experience is they burn out quicker than lower-intensity bulbs, and thus have to be replaced more often. This makes little sense from a financial standpoint. So where are the LEDs?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
LED direct replacements still have a ways to go, they don't have the light density that halogens do so it takes a much larger bulb to create the same amount of light essentially making it where you just have to replace the whole headlight assembly. I may be wrong though, I've been out of the LED world for almost a year now.

A better thing to do (in the mean time) would be to get a modulator and 'flash' the bulb very quickly, like putting a higher wattage bulb on a lamp and then fitting it with a rectifier so it only lights the bulb when the ac is flowing one way.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #6

Most HIDs use 35w as opposed to 55-65w for most halogen headlights. You don't have to reinvent the wheel.
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
LED direct replacements still have a ways to go, they don't have the light density that halogens do so it takes a much larger bulb to create the same amount of light essentially making it where you just have to replace the whole headlight assembly. I may be wrong though, I've been out of the LED world for almost a year now.

A better thing to do (in the mean time) would be to get a modulator and 'flash' the bulb very quickly, like putting a higher wattage bulb on a lamp and then fitting it with a rectifier so it only lights the bulb when the ac is flowing one way.
yea the current LED lights have special housing to project all the light forward, direct replacements wont work for a while because regular light bulbs light comes out pretty much equally in all directions, while LED's are generally pretty focused you would need alot of em in a given area to have light going out equally in all directions...
Old 05-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
Registered Member

I remember going to radio-shack years ago, and paying $4 for a blue LED. Just ONE of them. Now, they give them away at burger-king for little kids toys. as they become more popular, the price will drop...
Old 05-23-2008, 08:08 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurp812 View Post
I remember going to radio-shack years ago, and paying $4 for a blue LED. Just ONE of them. Now, they give them away at burger-king for little kids toys. as they become more popular, the price will drop...
yup same goes with everything, i mean look at DVD players 8 years ago, cassette players, i remember when MP3 players first came out, like 64mb but cost like $80-$100
Old 05-23-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
Registered Member

Believe it or not, high output LEDs have a heat problem, and it can only be dissipated through the cathode. There's some workarounds but making a generically useful high output LED that doesn't have or won't get special thermal considerations is a challenge that isn't yet fully solved.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote