Let's talk WAI - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #31
Registered Member

Well with 150,000 on a car something is bound to go wrong haha.

drifttec101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #32
Site Team / Moderator

Yea, but just a month or 2 before I started all of that I had the vehicle in the dealership for the 150,000 mile service and had them go over everything, and no problems were detected at that time.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Yea, but just a month or 2 before I started all of that I had the vehicle in the dealership for the 150,000 mile service and had them go over everything, and no problems were detected at that time.
I'm not sure I'd say that that is conclusive...
Old 01-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I agree that hypermiling can be hard on the vehicle. I suspect that my transmission problems in my 98 K1500 were due to me hypermiling in a 10 year old vehicle with over 150,000 miles. My Torque Converter started slipping, and that was after a few months of inducing DFCO by downshifting, shifting into Neural at lights, etc. I am now not as extreme in my efforts, balancing economy with wear & tear on the vehicle. The new torque converter + flush & fill the tranny with synthetic ATF cost me about $1,000. I still manage to do a percent or two over EPA estimates with most of my driving being short trip city.
I doubt it was your hypermiling. The 4L60E transmission that came in your Chevy had a reputation of self-destructing around 130K miles. I had one in my '87 Chevy Astro van, and that's what the tranny repair shop told me. GM built the clutch pack with too much clearance between the friction plates, or something like that.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #35
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The 4L60E is regarded on truck forums as underbuilt for use in full size pickups, and many people report premature death. I knock on wood that after 190,000 miles of mediocre maintenance and occasional heavy towing mine is still operating well.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #36
Site Team / Moderator

The transmission shop did say that there was a lot of clutch material in the bottom of the pan, and I was shocked since I just had the tranny flushed & filled less than 5,000 miles before. I'm not saying that the hypermiling was 100% at fault, the vehicle was 10 years old with 150,000 miles. I'm saying that the downshifting & such probably hastened the death of the torque converter. Luckily since I keep the vehicle well maintained I noticed a problem before it ended up needing the entire transmission replaced.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #37
Registered Member

There is so much DENIAL in this thread it's almost comical.

Read my gas log... as soon as my HAI was fabbed my mileage increased. I then created a heat shield for it and the mileage went higher.... SO HIGH in fact, I was in disbelief. My car had 135k on it when it was installed. The car was using oil then and still uses oil. No other problems have come up w/ the engine since the install.

I always input my gaslog with exact miles driven and fuel pumped, not what the scangauge tells me. The log is accurate.

All this "HAI does nothing" and "HAI only decreases engine power" is all being mentioned by those who haven't seen the real world results I (and many others) have.

You don't get a 31mpg car to 46mpg by luck. As mentioned the engine was never turned off, never put the trans in any gear other than DRIVE, A/C was not used, tires at 50psi, and I safely drafted semi trucks and tour buses as much as possible... but those are things I had tried before and my best was 33mpg.

This isn't really the place to come in and call people liars. This forum is better than that. You are bringing it down. Why would any of us lie, we're all trying to help each other save fuel/money...??
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #38
Registered Member

I think it's partially a matter of people naturally assuming that if it worked/didn't work for them, it will work/not work the same for everybody.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
There is so much DENIAL in this thread it's almost comical.

Read my gas log... as soon as my HAI was fabbed my mileage increased. I then created a heat shield for it and the mileage went higher.... SO HIGH in fact, I was in disbelief. My car had 135k on it when it was installed. The car was using oil then and still uses oil. No other problems have come up w/ the engine since the install.
Your car doesn't have a knock sensor so it doesn't represent the vast majority of cars that do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I think it's partially a matter of people naturally assuming that if it worked/didn't work for them, it will work/not work the same for everybody.
I tried HAI on 3 different cars. It increased fuel consumption on all of them. The only intake modification that does work is a large forward facing cold air intake.
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #40

John's claimed 50% FE improvement from simple addition of an HAI just doesn't match with reality, especially since he's making that claim based on a single tank's results.

FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote