lightweight wheel question? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

lightweight wheel question?

i recently got 2 vx rims, and put them at the front, since my civic is a fwd car.

on the back i got the 13' steelies that weigh about 5 pounds more each. does the rear matter as much as the front since its a fwd car? im thinking that the unsprung weight matters most at where the car is powered at. if adding vx rims to the back will make a huge difference such as the front, i will get 2 more vx rims.

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Registered Member

Might get tail happy on uneven surfaces. Ultimately though, the motor drives all 4 wheels, so you're probably getting half the benefit.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

Sprung vs unsprung only makes a difference to handling/ride, not to acceleration or fuel economy.

89 Yamaha FZR400 Crotch rocket, semi naked with only the bikini fairing, no lowers, 60 plus mpg

87 Ranger 2.3 5spd.. Does not currently run..
fumesucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Registered Member

I heard somewhere that every pound saved in the wheels is about 10 pounds saved at the car
Old 05-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
I heard somewhere that every pound saved in the wheels is about 10 pounds saved at the car
Similar statements are made about rotating mass on bicycles, but proper theory, experimentation, and measurements prove that it's not true.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
It is more beneficial to reduce rotating mass, but how much more beneficial varies from case to case.

Excluding handling & ride, your two lightweight wheels will have the same effect on the front or rear.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landon View Post
It is more beneficial to reduce rotating mass, but how much more beneficial varies from case to case.

Excluding handling & ride, your two lightweight wheels will have the same effect on the front or rear.

got it.. im going to search for 2 more vx wheels. after switching from my normal 15 pound steelies to vx's in the front, i now can accelerate from 3rd gear at under 10 mph, without bogging. what a difference.....
Old 05-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Hmm, I would think putting light wheels on the powered wheels would be alot more beneficial than putting them on the non-powered wheels.

Heavy wheels would need more "umpf" to get spinning, whereas the rears are just trailing along..
Old 05-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog671 View Post
Heavy wheels would need more "umpf" to get spinning, whereas the rears are just trailing along..
In both cases it is the engine doing the spinning.

It does not matter front or rear, seriously.

89 Yamaha FZR400 Crotch rocket, semi naked with only the bikini fairing, no lowers, 60 plus mpg

87 Ranger 2.3 5spd.. Does not currently run..
fumesucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
Registered Member

Unless you just want to do burnouts.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote