list of gas saving tips from best to worst - Page 12 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #111
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizmon View Post
You may have seen the tips, but others may have not.
I'm no scientist, but I've learned elementary science in school to know that this guy is not talking nonsense.
Take it with a grain of salt if you like, just don't dismiss anything without even bothering to try it out.
snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

I've gotten that one on email about 15 times....
__________________

__________________
shupack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #112
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3
Country: United States
cyclone fuel saver

Has anyone done any definitive studies on the Cyclone (tornado) fuel saver?
does it really work or is it just hype?
TIA
__________________

hondaguydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #113
Registered Member
 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,624
Country: United States
Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
No, it does not work, just like all the other miracle cures and snake oils.

According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterma...economy_device
the EPA, AAA, and Consumer Reports have all found the devices to be ineffective.

See also
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...view/index.htm
__________________
This sig may return, some day.
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #114
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaguydude View Post
Has anyone done any definitive studies on the Cyclone (tornado) fuel saver?
does it really work or is it just hype?
TIA
I put one on Rusty years ago, never did reduce anything but the amount of cash in my wallet. I think I paid $60 or $70 for it.

-Jay
__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:39 PM   #115
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1
Country: United States
Move close to your work.drive slower.I found this site while researching modifying o2 sensors,i thought mabe leaning out my vehicle would help.my dad recently put on a browns gas type generator and got an immediate 3 mpg increase.
ron17571@netzero.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #116
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6
Country: United States
im new here but reading some of these suggestions and ideas seem to me to that they could do more harm than good and cost more money in the long run. if your doing things like neautral coasting and it causes more wear on ur tranny and hence it may not last as long. running engines at higher operating temps with thermostats and grill blocking and drawing hot air off the manifolds may make for higher combustion temp changes which burns fuel more completely but dont higher temps cause more friction? more friction = more wear = shorter lifespan? charging your batteries overnight to keep em really charged up does the amount of electricity used cost less than the amount of extra fuel used if the batteries r not fully charged? adding solar panels to the car if it could be done in an aerodynamic way would prolly not generate enuff electricity to make much of a difference considering the weight offsets of panels. a 3ft x 1.5 ft panel generates about 15 watts of power under ideal conditions which translates to about 850ma of current i dont think that would over come the extra weight of several pounds of glass. while watching mythbusters they were trying to figger out the tailgate up/down or off idea. when they went to ford for some info and data they were shown in the windtunnel that the tailgate up on a NEW ford pickup enhanced mileage due to the air currents providing a forward push of air pressure that was lost with the gate down or off. on an older truck i dont think this condtion is likely to occur to the same degree, but imho on an older truck a soft lightweight tonneau cover with a lightweight cover replacing the gate would possibly improve FE. another thing i think about does synth oil that costs 7bux a quart when u go thru proper intervals outweigh the cost of the fuel saved? if u do things that make ur car more likely to have a crash or potentially more dangerous resulting in great expense worth the savings in fuel? ive heard some people tell me they get better MPG in vehicles using premium fuel that were meant for regular octane fuel. under ideal conditions this does not make sense when a vehicle is working properly and using the octane that is reccomended for them. some vehicles ive had got lower mileage when running premium over reg octane due to the fact they were not meant to run efficiently with that high and octane rating. I used to run propane vehicles previously. propane has an octane rating of about 110, higher than any pump fuel. but a vehicle ie 83 buick park ave with an olds 307 motor ran about 25% less efficiently than when running gasoline. but at less than half the cost of the fuel at the time it was worth it. if the motor had a compression ratio of say 10 or 11:1 it woulda gotten probably the same kinda mileage over the 8:1 compression it had for gas.

these r just my thots, i dont work for an oil company! LOL, i do think of conservation and i am thinking over many of these ideas and trying to figger for myself if I think they r plausible or foolish., i also like to provoke others to think about em more than just sit and read and think that if its in print on the net its fact. some things work for some some things dont, its all relevant isnt it?

i am curious if you guys/gals give the same kind of thot to conservation of electricity at home to save money as much as you try to conserve ur use of fuel? thots for another thread.

i hope my run on paragraphs dont pee off too many peeps oh yeah im one of those that questions everything, and beleives nothing till its proven to my satisfaction, yeah it ticks my wife off too lol
trollgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #117
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4
Country: United States
Has anyone tried turbulators?
96sc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #118
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollgods View Post
another thing i think about does synth oil that costs 7bux a quart when u go thru proper intervals outweigh the cost of the fuel saved?
With conventional oil I change my oil every 3,000. On Synthetic I change every 5,000 so synthetic actually saves me money. Wal-Mart only charges me about $40 for a Mobil-1 synthetic oil change on the Beast.
__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:21 PM   #119
Registered Member
 
KARR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 73
Country: Portugal
Location: Algarve
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollgods View Post
im new here but reading some of these suggestions and ideas seem to me to that they could do more harm than good and cost more money in the long run. if your doing things like neautral coasting and it causes more wear on ur tranny and hence it may not last as long. running engines at higher operating temps with thermostats and grill blocking and drawing hot air off the manifolds may make for higher combustion temp changes which burns fuel more completely but dont higher temps cause more friction? more friction = more wear = shorter lifespan? charging your batteries overnight to keep em really charged up does the amount of electricity used cost less than the amount of extra fuel used if the batteries r not fully charged? adding solar panels to the car if it could be done in an aerodynamic way would prolly not generate enuff electricity to make much of a difference considering the weight offsets of panels. a 3ft x 1.5 ft panel generates about 15 watts of power under ideal conditions which translates to about 850ma of current i dont think that would over come the extra weight of several pounds of glass. while watching mythbusters they were trying to figger out the tailgate up/down or off idea. when they went to ford for some info and data they were shown in the windtunnel that the tailgate up on a NEW ford pickup enhanced mileage due to the air currents providing a forward push of air pressure that was lost with the gate down or off. on an older truck i dont think this condtion is likely to occur to the same degree, but imho on an older truck a soft lightweight tonneau cover with a lightweight cover replacing the gate would possibly improve FE. another thing i think about does synth oil that costs 7bux a quart when u go thru proper intervals outweigh the cost of the fuel saved? if u do things that make ur car more likely to have a crash or potentially more dangerous resulting in great expense worth the savings in fuel? ive heard some people tell me they get better MPG in vehicles using premium fuel that were meant for regular octane fuel. under ideal conditions this does not make sense when a vehicle is working properly and using the octane that is reccomended for them. some vehicles ive had got lower mileage when running premium over reg octane due to the fact they were not meant to run efficiently with that high and octane rating. I used to run propane vehicles previously. propane has an octane rating of about 110, higher than any pump fuel. but a vehicle ie 83 buick park ave with an olds 307 motor ran about 25% less efficiently than when running gasoline. but at less than half the cost of the fuel at the time it was worth it. if the motor had a compression ratio of say 10 or 11:1 it woulda gotten probably the same kinda mileage over the 8:1 compression it had for gas.

these r just my thots, i dont work for an oil company! LOL, i do think of conservation and i am thinking over many of these ideas and trying to figger for myself if I think they r plausible or foolish., i also like to provoke others to think about em more than just sit and read and think that if its in print on the net its fact. some things work for some some things dont, its all relevant isnt it?

i am curious if you guys/gals give the same kind of thot to conservation of electricity at home to save money as much as you try to conserve ur use of fuel? thots for another thread.

i hope my run on paragraphs dont pee off too many peeps oh yeah im one of those that questions everything, and beleives nothing till its proven to my satisfaction, yeah it ticks my wife off too lol
A higher engine temperature will cause the oil viscosity to decrease, making it more fluid, I suppose. If that happens it will actually improve the engine efficiency resulting in a better mileage. Many things you referred are correct, tough.
KARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:55 AM   #120
Site Team / Moderator
 
Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,657
Country: United States
Location: Northern Virginia
@ Mr. Brochu:

__________________

__________________






Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Matching EPA Type to My Car DastardlyDan Fuelly Web Support and Community News 2 10-26-2009 07:16 AM
Hydrogen or H2O Systems 1Jal1 General Fuel Topics 4 10-11-2008 02:20 AM
Remember Login on Mobile page lunawire Fuelly Web Support and Community News 3 08-30-2008 08:33 AM
An American Perspective on Driving in Canada rh77 General Discussion (Off-Topic) 28 03-24-2006 10:42 PM
"active" aero grille slats on 06 civic concept MetroMPG General Fuel Topics 21 01-03-2006 01:02 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.