list of gas saving tips from best to worst - Page 19 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #181
Registered Member

Here we go...109 tips listed below....some are practical, some not....all taken with a grain of salt. I employ as many as possible. My avg mpg's in my grand marquis near EPA rated hwy mpg yet my normal driving can be no different than 50/50 city/hwy.
Good Luck and good mileage....

http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hyperm...ecodriving.php

hypermarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #182
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermarquis View Post
Here we go...109 tips listed below....some are practical, some not....all taken with a grain of salt. I employ as many as possible. My avg mpg's in my grand marquis near EPA rated hwy mpg yet my normal driving can be no different than 50/50 city/hwy.

My favourites:

15) Note your transition points
If you regularly travel the same roads, make a conscious effort to note (memorize) the points along the way where transitions occur that maximize efficiency.

EG. memorize where you can initiate a coast to just make it to the next stop sign. Or note at what speed you can crest a hill so you're traveling just fast enough for the next transition after the descent.

26) Conserve momentum: stop sign 'stop and crawl'
When multiple vehicles ahead of you are progressing through a stop sign (or a right turn at a red light), this represents a mini 'stop and crawl' situation normally found in a bumper to bumper traffic jam.

Time your approach, to arrive at the stop sign as the last car ahead is departing.

32) Traffic light timing - red lights with sensors
When approaching a red light, slow down early if there's a car in front of you that can trip the sensor so you may not have to come to a complete stop.

CleanMPG.com cleverly nicnamed this technique "rabbit timing"

33) Traffic light timing - 'stale' green
When approaching an intersection with a green light you can watch the pedestrian signal crossing light to help determine when it will turn yellow.

45) Conserve momentum: avoid stopping

47) "Drive without brakes" (DWB)

49) Conserve momentum: brake hard
It sounds like a contradiction, but there are rare times when braking hard can save fuel compared to coasting or light braking: it's a "damage control" technique when faced with an unpredictable/unanticipated stop or slow down ahead and not a lot of space.

An example: approaching a fresh red traffic light that had no other indicators to predict the change (no pedestrian signal and no cars waiting on the cross street). If you brake lightly/moderately, you will cover the entire distance to the intersection and have no option but coming to a full stop.

But if you brake quite hard initially, you can potentially scrub enough speed and buy enough time to coast the remaining distance to the intersection at a low speed. With judgment and some luck, you'll arrive at a fresh green light and avoid a full stop.

Obviously, rapid deceleration isn't a safe option if there is following traffic.

66) Parking tactics: pick the periphery

73) Manual transmission: cruise in high gear
When cruising at a constant speed, shift to the highest gear you can use without lugging the engine.

94) Maintain a space cushion
When driving on a multi-lane roadway, try to maintain a "space cushion" around you.

IE. avoid driving for any length of time beside a vehicle in the next lane. The more options you leave open for making a prompt lane change if one is needed, the safer and more efficient you'll be (if it means avoiding an unnecessary slowdown).

Old 06-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #183
Registered Member

Great List

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermarquis View Post

Nice Link!
mikeyjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:27 AM   #184
Registered Member

Very interesting...

Snowvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #185
Registered Member

Good List

The list is pretty good, but most of the time I don't see ways on this site on how to save money on gas aside from changing the way you drive. This site has some good ideas otherwise.

http://frugalforless.com/10-ways-to-...ugality-guide/
jwuerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #186
Site Team

You can see the complete list of tips from Fuelly users at the following link:
http://www.fuelly.com/tips/

You can also access these tips from any page by using the drop down at the top Community >> Tips.
andyrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:49 PM   #187
Registered Member

What is the point of Nitrogen fills really. Every time you need to inflate the tyres you have lost some of the Nitrogen you paid for when the tyre was fitted and are replacing it with good old fashioned air which is free (unless you are foolish enough to use a place that charges for inflation). Increasing the tyre pressure from the recommended to maximum pressure may very slightly increase you MPG but any savings are negated by the faster wear of the tyre, not to mention the decrease in road holding making you a danger to yourself and other road users.

Should people really be suggesting possible dangerous ideas for saving a few pennies even if it is tongue in cheek. Someone out there will take these 'joke' suggestions as a recommendation and actually try some of them out.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #188
Registered Member

If the nitrogen is free, go for it.

I see a noticable difference with higher tire pressures in regards to fuel efficiency and handling. The manufacturer recommended pressures feel mushy to me, and the tires no longer 'collapse' when cornering with the increased sidewall stiffness.

Sidewall flexing with the stated pressure is what heats up a tire. With underinflation, which is more common than over, it can damage the sidewall to blow out.

Even stated tire pressures can lead to premature tire wear.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #189
Registered Member

I recently drove on tyres at 50 PSI, the max for these tyres. A friend of mine fitted them and obviously you have to over inflate them to pop them on the rim, he had forgotten to let some air out. The steering was too light as so little tyre was in contact with the road, grip was compromised a lot. In wet conditions, it would be even worse.

It's safe to pump up tyres a little, manufacturers figures are low for safety reasons, but please don't over inflate them, it's very dangerous for you and other road users and could also invalidate your insurance if you have an accident.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #190
Registered Member

About going up steep inclines?

When visiting my folk's place, there's a steep mountain incline of 2 or 3 miles long. The speed limit is posted 35mph. For those of you with MPGuinos and such, am I better off, assuming no traffic behind me, driving up the incline at 25mph, which is 2nd gear in my humble 1989 Civic hback, or driving 40mph-ish, which is entry level for 3rd gear.

Thanks,
Doug in Oakland, CA

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote