Locking gas cap? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

Locking gas cap?

There was some discussion at work about my craziness lately. Got wind that there was a plot to either add or subtract fuel, to make me look more foolish than normal. (Like I need help!) This happened years ago with one tank yeilding an eye popping figure, which was easy to figure out was bogus!

Buying the cap lead to an interesting conversation. Sales person " So your afraid of someone stealing gas?" No afraid of someone adding gas. "WHAT?"
After some explanation the idea sunk in. My wife felt that I should have just let them add it, with fuel prices as they are. Nah it defeats the goal.

So Hypermilers beware, there might be a plot to get you too!!!!!!!!!??????????

Last tank 60.16mpg

minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
Supporting Member

minic6 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by minic6 View Post
There was some discussion at work about my craziness lately. Got wind that there was a plot to either add or subtract fuel, to make me look more foolish than normal. (Like I need help!) This happened years ago with one tank yeilding an eye popping figure, which was easy to figure out was bogus!

Buying the cap lead to an interesting conversation. Sales person " So your afraid of someone stealing gas?" No afraid of someone adding gas. "WHAT?"
After some explanation the idea sunk in. My wife felt that I should have just let them add it, with fuel prices as they are. Nah it defeats the goal.

So Hypermilers beware, there might be a plot to get you too!!!!!!!!!??????????

Last tank 60.16mpg
It's definitely a way to get free gas. Orrrrrrrrrr, I can use it as an excuse for a bad tank. I just have to make up a grainy security film of some black-clad ne'er-do-well stealin' my hard earned petrol.

Technically, since you are not the one purchasing the gas, and you are getting the gas *because* you are a hypermiler, then I say you deserve to count the MPG!!!!!!!!

If you want to know for sure, then how about this? Re-route your gas cap to inside the trunk and make the existing gas cap route to an auxiliary tank. If they put gas in, it's free gas. If they try to siphon gas out, they get nothing. If they claim you have an empty tank, tell them that your car is running on air (technically this is true by a ratio of 14.7 to 1, aka 1470&#37!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

We have a prankster at work that was going to do this to my car. The gas door is locked so he could not get in the day he brought the gas. So far the gas fillups and scangauge are running pretty close to each other.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
Supporting Member

Maybe they should have siphoned that hummer's gas like that instead of bashing it up, he probably wouldn't have noticed the drop in FE. They did that to one of my boss's friends in his new VW bug, made him think he got 100 mpg, then siphoned it back out and he brought it back to the dealership wondering why he only got 5mpg.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:58 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
minic6 -

It's definitely a way to get free gas. Orrrrrrrrrr, I can use it as an excuse for a bad tank. I just have to make up a grainy security film of some black-clad ne'er-do-well stealin' my hard earned petrol.

Technically, since you are not the one purchasing the gas, and you are getting the gas *because* you are a hypermiler, then I say you deserve to count the MPG!!!!!!!!

If you want to know for sure, then how about this? Re-route your gas cap to inside the trunk and make the existing gas cap route to an auxiliary tank. If they put gas in, it's free gas. If they try to siphon gas out, they get nothing. If they claim you have an empty tank, tell them that your car is running on air (technically this is true by a ratio of 14.7 to 1, aka 1470%)!

CarloSW2
Did not think of it before but the comment on black- clad ne'er do wells. Reminded me we have tons of security cameras at the proving grounds. Shows how well our security team works.

So it's Ok to count if it can be proved it was added HHHHMMM.....
minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:58 AM   #6
Supporting Member

no you can't add it yourself or have a friend add it.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote