Long A$$ trip help - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Long A$$ trip help

Ok, im taking a really long trip from Omaha, NE to Plymouth, CT. Im new to this website, but i come from explorerforum.com. I own a '97 Ford explorer XLT with the 4.0 SOHC V6 with 215 horse and 260ish ft/pd torque. I need some help on getting great gass millage. i already have and intake, exaust, synthetic fluids all around and someother little things. i was just wondering if you guys knew alittle tricks to get somemore done. Im hopeing to acheive 28-30 the way there and 28 on the way back. thanks for all the help!

Clay

97greenmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97greenmonster View Post
Ok, im taking a really long trip from Omaha, NE to Plymouth, CT. Im new to this website, but i come from explorerforum.com. I own a '97 Ford explorer XLT with the 4.0 SOHC V6 with 215 horse and 260ish ft/pd torque. I need some help on getting great gass millage. i already have and intake, exaust, synthetic fluids all around and someother little things. i was just wondering if you guys knew alittle tricks to get somemore done. Im hopeing to acheive 28-30 the way there and 28 on the way back. thanks for all the help!

Clay
Great mileage. Is that what your currently getting MPG wise? This is a good place to start. Welcome to the site.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
*shrug*

Slow down! That's the main thing! Welcome to the forum!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
Registered Member

Taller rear end? Lower air dam? Highway tires vs A/T? Higher inflation? I guess there's no sense repeating all the other threads...
Old 05-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Slow down! That's the main thing! Welcome to the forum!
SVOboy is absolutely correct!! The slower you can go (within reason), the better!

You might want to try a quickie airdam...checkout Bill In Houston's "The Orange Toaster" http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/365 or kitcar's "Stinkerbutt" http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/445 for ideas.

When we recently took a trip to Orlando in my wife's wagon, we got a couple more MPG just by following the speed limit on cruise control. I am sure we would have done better if we had been more patient and drove slower.

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
Ever seen or read about this guy?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ighlight=quest
Old 05-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

Aldive, yea, hes my hero!! ha. If i had that type of money. Hes got a beautiful truck. same motor as mine, but ive got less weight cause im not an eddie so i know the potiential is there. But yea. I have done a few of his mods. i do have a custom intake with a k&n cone filter, crank case breather mod. and yea. I am getting a tune up, timming chain tensioners replaced, alignment and i think brakes done sometime this week. As of now with old plugs & wires, bad timming tensioner and its out of alingment, i get aroun 15-20 depending on how i drive. Im hoping to make it to ct in just over a day. i dont exceed 65-70 on the interstate, and it helps i have a 5 speed that spools 2200 RPM at 70 MPH. sadly tho i do have liberator A/T i bought 4 winter, and im too poor to get lets say tracker 2s. How did he make that airdam. Thanks for the help, im gonna go piddle with her now!
Clay
97greenmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
Supporting Member

hey its me from mustang time. welcome to the site. i know you dont want to slow down to much because it is such a long trip so your gonna have to do some aero mods. start with a fresh tank and see what you get driveing now so you can know how well your doing.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
Registered Member

Get a different car. That's going to make a huge difference.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
there is a lot you could do. staying under 65 is the best, along with tire pressure and the other aeromods mentioned.