Low Roling Resistance Tires - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Low Roling Resistance Tires

So last summer I had to replace my tires, stock size is 165/70-13 for my civic vx, the past owner had put 175/70-13 on, and I wanted to go back to stock size, but apparently, at least in this area, no one makes 165/70-13 tires any more, and the more I looked for the, the more I liked these hard to find tires, as it seems that most of the name brand of that size are a high proformance tire, that most of the compenys mention them being low roling resistance.
so after a few weeks of phone calls, I found a store that found 27 Firestone F570 sitting in a warehouse in chicago, a tire that it seems is no longer made, so of course I told them I wanted them as soon as possible!
I've been very impressed with these, they don't squeak, or slide around corners at all unless there is ice or snow, and are around 15 pounds each.
so what other tires are people useing? what brands have good low roling resistance tires? any that are junk? I think my next set is going to be 155/80-13 unless I can lower my combined tire/wheel by going with 14" insight rims, or HX rims, but I don't think I'll be able to get a lighter combined weight, nor a narrower tire with 14" rims, as hx rims tend to be 12+ pounds from what I hear, and my vx rims are 9 pounds, 5" wide.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
*shrug*

Are the firestones not made

Are the firestones not made anymore because of freeway death blowouts?

My cousin was involved in one and rolled her suv way down the road.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
no, it seems that the recall

no, it seems that the recall was on an ATX model of truck tire, used by Ford, who underinflated them to cover up the fact that they made a poor product.
these they stoped making because they are only used on small sports cars like the MG, and on older fuel efficent cars, and the 175/70-13 are a cheaper wider tire, and I've noticed that the people at the tire store alwas point me at the cheapest product first.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:20 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
junk

Quote:
any that are junk?
I've used a few junkies! First ones were Dominator Touring MR II's, mileage drop from 21 to 20 and even tho they were sticky in snow, they suck on dry pavement. No traction. decent in corners.

Then theres "the advantage plus" by BFGOODRICH you'll slide everywhere through fast corners. No dry traction, even less wet traction. Outright dangerous tire. no noticeable mpg drop or gain
Old 03-27-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
Registered Member

2 threads, good info

We had 2 threads on LRR Tires, and I can't find the one with the latest info. Old data is here:

http://www.greenseal.org/recommendat...resistance.pdf

Consumer Reports just did some testing because tire companies, or anyone else for that matter, tests rolling resistance. The best were Michelin Harmony or any "Energy" variants.

RH77
Old 03-27-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
Registered Member

Found it

The complete list of LRR tires can be found in this thread from CR:

http://www.gassavers.org/forum_topic/tire_swap.html

RH77
Old 03-28-2006, 01:46 AM   #7
Registered Member

I found this while

I found this while researching LLR tires:
http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/1994/November/11.html
and this
http://www.michelin.com/corporate/front/templates/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=91&codePage=PAG_AXE_RECH&l ang=EN

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:06 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
!

awesome reads Dan! Thanks!
Old 03-28-2006, 05:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

Bzzzzt.

Good info!

I have Michelin MXV4's and never placed the tires as the culprit of being incessantly shocked every time I get out of the car. I just use the back of my hand on the metal door frame (more nerves in the fingertips), and shut the door -- it's been a routine I do every time I get out of any car now. I thought I had linked it to the type of pants I was wearing -- khakis rubbing against the seat as I got out seemed to do it worse than dress pants or jeans -- but maybe the different materials grounded me, or it's bunk.

The solution, if anyone has this problem, is to attach a strip of rubber from the car's frame and have it drag on the ground as you drive -- you may have seen this (moreso in the past than today). This grounds the car's frame and should dissipate any collected ions as U drive.

RH77
Old 03-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #10
Registered Member

I had the same problem when

I had the same problem when replacing the tires on my Civic CX, I used to use Michelin Xone, but they stopped making them in the 165/70-13 size. The only brands I could find in 165's was Maxon and Yokohama. I ended up getting Michelin Harmony 175/70-13 with the pressure set higher than normal (54psi front, 52psi back) to high center the tread to reduce the tire's footprint back to the width of the 165's. So far I have been very pleased with the results. My mileage is unchanged from what it was with the 165's and I have MUCH improved cornering and braking.