LRR tires - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #11
Supporting Member

I'm running michelin harmonys 185/65/15. There very quiet, they handle decent, wet traction is awesome, they served very well in snow and ice. There kinda pricey though. I will buy them again. I've tried lots of different tires that were cheaper on different vehicles in the past. It became very evident while driving on these tires that they are far better tire than anything I've ever used in an all-season tire. My brother drove the car in a rain storm, he called me on the way and commented how sure footed the car is in the wet. There so good I didn't realize that this car DOESN'T have ABS until 2 months ago. I've driven it 40,000 miles!

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Thanks for that link s2man...

Wow! holy freakin' confusing batman! There's some offroad tires with lower RR than touring radials. There's some manufacturers where the 70 profile does better than the 65, then there's some where the 65 does better than the 70 or 75. Looks like a crapshoot, you might hear that a particular tire has a LRR but in the tire size you need, something different might do better!
I went into a local tire shop the other day to get my tire patched since it's leaking. I told him about riding at high pressure (lately 60PSI) which of course his business partner poopoo'ed (he wasn't in support of high pressure, but he didn't make me feel like a dingo for it) but he did say that it's a myth in the tire industry that there is such a thing as LRR! He said that all tires have about the same rolling resistance and it's just marketing, no tires provide an appreciable difference "if you were to save $10 in one year, you'd be lucky" and would not make as much difference as 1mpg over "non-LRR" tires. Didn't know what to make of that. He *did* acknowledge there will be a difference going from knobby truck tires to normal tires, but once in the realm of normal tires he said there is no appreciable difference.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
Since the average driver doesn't take full advantage of momentum(gunning it until they stomp on the brakes) the average driver may not see nearly as much difference as you might.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #14
VX trainee

I'm running Vredestein QuatracII tires on my VX, absolutely love them! Great on snow, ice and water. I keep mine around 52 psi,seem to have much lower RR than my old tires. Cost me $44.28 each for 155/80R13 tires.
4bfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:07 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
I went into a local tire shop the other day to get my tire patched since it's leaking. I told him about riding at high pressure (lately 60PSI) which of course his business partner poopoo'ed (he wasn't in support of high pressure, but he didn't make me feel like a dingo for it) but he did say that it's a myth in the tire industry that there is such a thing as LRR! He said that all tires have about the same rolling resistance and it's just marketing, no tires provide an appreciable difference "if you were to save $10 in one year, you'd be lucky" and would not make as much difference as 1mpg over "non-LRR" tires. Didn't know what to make of that. He *did* acknowledge there will be a difference going from knobby truck tires to normal tires, but once in the realm of normal tires he said there is no appreciable difference.
Actually, between the higher RR tires in that table and the LRR I think there would be a 1-2% difference at 60mph, which might be 1mpg in a 50mpg car. So I'd say somewhere between $20 and $50 a year if you did a tanks worth of highway use every week. However, a new pair of cheap tires on a Tempo I have driven a bit, seemed to make mileage dive noticably, 2 mpg ish, which is in the region of 5-10%.

However, this is for vehicles with Cds in the mid .30s, when aero drag is 3x the RR drag... it's possible that differences of 5% would be seen on cars in the mid .20s ... on a .40s truck you'd probably have to go between fat swampers and skinny high psi tires to see mpg change a point.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:37 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Yeah, good point RW. I don't really put much stock in what the guy was saying, but it did take me by surprise. My next tires I think will either be the Vredestein Quatrac II (so I don't die in the winter) or the Sumo 200s (so I do die in the winter) because it's expensive to buy winter tires and change them. I wonder what the Quatrac II LRR score is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bfox
I'm running Vredestein QuatracII tires on my VX, absolutely love them! Great on snow, ice and water. I keep mine around 52 psi,seem to have much lower RR than my old tires. Cost me $44.28 each for 155/80R13 tires.
How come you got 155/80R13 instead of the VX size of 165/70R13 I believe. Also, can you post the link to where you got them? Thanks! I've been thinking about buying these tires for awhile; so very glad to hear some feedback from someone who has got them!

Okay, answering my own questions: this is where you bought your tires most likely (same place I was looking)

And I see why you got the size you did as it's $10 cheaper. Do you think you could post some pictures of your car from low down on the pavement so I could see how those sized tires look on the car and what they mean for the car's ground clearance or ride height? Thanks! Do they have essentially the same height as the 165/70R13? My current tires make the car ride higher than it's supposed to.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #17
VX trainee

Glad to help:http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL&#3...ed_quatrac.htm

I'll try to get pics tomorrow for you and post them.

4bfox is offline   Reply With Quote