LRR tires - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

LRR tires

Looking for a set of LRR tires for my vx, what are my options? I have ONE 13" michelin proxima RR from the EV1's that i found on ebay a few months ago, chances are prety slim that I will find another.

siray13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Registered Member

I bought a set of VX rims a month ago from user XFi. You can read the thread:
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....ight=VX+wheels

The tires on them are LRR Kumho 795s. 155/80/R13 matches my stock Civic tire height almost perfectly.

Can't comment on them yet. I'll drive on them in a few weeks when Spring finally arrives for good in upstate NY.

You might also look at this archived thread:
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkmIP5N...es/t-2662.html

(or just Google "LRR VX")

Regards,
Bill

Nrggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

my next tires(LRR) will be Somitomo HTR200. they are rated very well along with more expensive Goodrich and Michelin. in fact,they are rated better than most of the tires that are priced higher!

tirerack has them.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

what about the bridgestone potenza re92? it's a 165/65-13 it's the same kinda that is on the 14" insight. Any success or complaints about this tire?
siray13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siray13 View Post
what about the bridgestone potenza re92? it's a 165/65-13 it's the same kinda that is on the 14" insight. Any success or complaints about this tire?
according to tire testing on tirerack, bridgestone tires do not score very well in general.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

I've heard bad things about the RE92, but only that tire. I've driven on a set of Bridgestone Eager tires and loved the traction on all surfaces (wet/dry/light snow). The RE960AS is one of the best rated tires on tire-rack.
I wouldn't judge brigestone by one poorly rated tire model.

For RR test info check this link out:
http://greenseal.org/resources/repor...resistance.pdf
Old 03-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samandw View Post
I've heard bad things about the RE92, but only that tire. I've driven on a set of Bridgestone Eager tires and loved the traction on all surfaces (wet/dry/light snow). The RE960AS is one of the best rated tires on tire-rack.
I wouldn't judge brigestone by one poorly rated tire model.

For RR test info check this link out:
http://greenseal.org/resources/repor...resistance.pdf
my observation was based on econo car tires in general which is peritinent to this thread. 3 tires made by bridgestone are offered for my application (175 or 185/65/14). NONE rated particularly well.

certainly not ALL of their tires rate this way. some of their larger, performance tires do rate very well.

one other observation...
it seems for the price, better deals can be had for almost any application over what bridgestone charges.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:12 AM   #8
Registered Member

I've been pleased with my General Ameri G4S, made by Continental Tires. They had the second lowest CRR in this report, in the 2002 data. It also contains 2005 data. I contacted Continental and verified it's the same tire, they just changed the brand name to General.

s2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks for that link s2man...

Wow! holy freakin' confusing batman! There's some offroad tires with lower RR than touring radials. There's some manufacturers where the 70 profile does better than the 65, then there's some where the 65 does better than the 70 or 75. Looks like a crapshoot, you might hear that a particular tire has a LRR but in the tire size you need, something different might do better!
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
Registered Member

I have RE 92's fitted to my car as standard equipment.
205/65-15.
To sum up:

Noisy. Much more so than the Michelins on my previous Commodore. On a coarse mix surface they drown out the CD. Reasonably quiet on a smooth surface which is hardly a compliment.

Hard. Bridge joiners and freeway cats eyes are to be avoided if possible. Pressures are as per the tyre plate at 250.

70 000 on the car and virtually worn out. The previous Michelins lasted well past 100 000.

Handling is OK but not brilliant. NOT confidence inspiring by any means.

Others may find they are different on other cars but that is my experience.

Pete.

GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote