LRR tires "Green Seal" Report March '03 - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 244
Country: United States
Carlos,

You may also consider the Sumitomo HTR T4:

http://www.sumitomotire.com/catalogs...at_Rev5.05.pdf

Both sizes 195/65/15 and 195/70/14 are also 18 lbs, 51 psi, and was rated excellent in a Consumer Reports test for low rolling resistance. See here:

http://www.wsj.consumerreports.org/wsjreport140a.html

Why do you want to move up one size larger than stock?

Steve
__________________

__________________
cems70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
 
omgwtfbyobbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,516
Country: United States
That CA paper was a pretty sweet find Carlos, thanks! If a tire can gain a mpg per 10psi highway, I wonder what impact under or over inflation has on street? Could be as much as 15-20%...
__________________

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaTwo
I think if i could get that type of FE i would have no problem driving a dildo shaped car.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:13 AM   #13
Supporting Member
 
cfg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,779
Country: United States
Steve -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cems70 View Post
Carlos,

You may also consider the Sumitomo HTR T4:

http://www.sumitomotire.com/catalogs...at_Rev5.05.pdf

Both sizes 195/65/15 and 195/70/14 are also 18 lbs, 51 psi, and was rated excellent in a Consumer Reports test for low rolling resistance. See here:

http://www.wsj.consumerreports.org/wsjreport140a.html
Thanks, I missed that one. I did some more homework on TireRack and they don't offer the T4, only the H4.

Quote:
Why do you want to move up one size larger than stock?

Steve
On the theory that a larger tire will simulate taller gearing. Lower revs per mile implies the engine does less work to go the same distance (Caveat: being higher off the ground could hurt your Cd). If you up the tire size, you have to adjust your ScanGauge data to display the correct MPG.

But it doesn't look like the revs will be too much different at just one size up. Here's my current breakdown (based on TireRack info) :

1999 Saturn SW2 OEM Tire :
Firestone Affinity Touring -
195/65 TR15 : 35 PSI Max : 18 lbs : 24.5" diameter : 846 revs per mile

Current (pre GasSavers awareness) tire :
Goodyear Eagle GT-HR -
195/60 HR15 : 44 PSI Max : 20 lbs : 24.2" diameter : 863 revs per mile

Replacement Candidates :
Continental ContiProContact -
195/65 HR15 : 51 PSI Max : 18 lbs : 25.0" diameter : 835 revs per mile

Sumitomo HTR T4 -
195/65R15 : 51 PSI Max : 18 lbs : 25.0" diameter : 846 revs per mile

..... but .... the revs/mile could be an anomaly of the way the manufacturer calculates their revs (or a typo).

If I could fit 205's in my wheel well for even lower revs, the weight would go to 21 lbs, .


CarloSW2
__________________
Old School SW2 EPA ... New School Civic EPA :

What's your EPA MPG? http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 244
Country: United States
Carlos,

Yes, I noticed the revs per mile weren't much different which made me wonder why you wanted to move up one size.

Others have posted their experience w/ larger size tires and reported the car is much slower. I've heard the explanation about lower revs, but it still doesn't make sense to me. If it were such an easy way to get better FE, why don't the car manufacturers do this themselves? At some point there must be a penalty for the larger size tire (beyond the car being taller and less aerodynamic).

FYI, I know tirerack doesn't carry the Sumitomo HTR T4. But a number of local tire dealers in my area who carry Sumitomo carry the T4. You may want to check your local dealers. I'm itching for a set for my '95 Civic DX that I just bought, but the car came w/ brand new Firestones (rolling resistance is terrible). So I'm debating if it's worth buying 4 new tires.

Steve
__________________
cems70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #15
Supporting Member
 
cfg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,779
Country: United States
cems70 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cems70 View Post
Carlos,

Yes, I noticed the revs per mile weren't much different which made me wonder why you wanted to move up one size.
Yeah, I don't really have a good answer, the revs are so close. I guess I would have to take the Spinal Tap defense, "but ... it goes to eleven.".

Now, 18 lb 205's or sub-18 lb 185's might be something to look for.

Quote:
Others have posted their experience w/ larger size tires and reported the car is much slower. I've heard the explanation about lower revs, but it still doesn't make sense to me. If it were such an easy way to get better FE, why don't the car manufacturers do this themselves? At some point there must be a penalty for the larger size tire (beyond the car being taller and less aerodynamic).

FYI, I know tirerack doesn't carry the Sumitomo HTR T4. But a number of local tire dealers in my area who carry Sumitomo carry the T4. You may want to check your local dealers. I'm itching for a set for my '95 Civic DX that I just bought, but the car came w/ brand new Firestones (rolling resistance is terrible). So I'm debating if it's worth buying 4 new tires.

Steve
I am using Tire Rack for mostly research (sorry Matt!). I have had a good experience with Just Tires, so I am giving them dibs on my next purchase. They would have to order them, but if they can get me what I want, I will give them the business. If they can't, I will see what CostCo (nitrogen!) or the other tire shops can do for me.

Unless you have a pal that wants to buy the tires, I would wait until you use up your tread, since I'll bet you have lots of other mods you can do in the meantime. Think of it as "recycling the tires", also a good thing. I got (only?) 52,000 miles out of the GoodYear Eagle GTs, and that is pretty good for me.

One big mistake I made when I traded my 1997 Saturn SC2 for the 1999 Saturn SW2 was that I took the tires and alloys that the SW2 came with. My old SC2 had steel wheels, but I was "pre-GasSaver" ready with racing disks on those wheels, *AND* the tires were newer than the ones that came with the SW2 :



I could be driving the "space wagon" right now if I had kept the steelies .

CarloSW2
__________________

__________________
Old School SW2 EPA ... New School Civic EPA :

What's your EPA MPG? http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Feature: Loan and lease cost labrie Fuelly Web Support and Community News 1 02-08-2012 02:12 AM
DIY vortex generators... ZugyNA Experiments, Modifications and DIY 5 08-27-2010 04:14 AM
Windows vs. A/C DHA General Fuel Topics 7 11-19-2009 07:57 AM
Basic Stats poorboymeyer Fuelly Web Support and Community News 2 09-22-2009 09:19 AM
Engine Builder's Notebook GasSavers_katman General Maintenance and Repair 8 07-13-2006 11:12 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.