Marvin is trippin' so I did a bunch... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cool Marvin is trippin' so I did a bunch...

Hi folks,

Going on a mini vacation, sort of a grand tour of southern Ontario, so tore into Marvin today a bit and inspected stuff.

Guess I did too much at once really as far as testing is concerned, whoops, sorry.

Changed oil out for Mobil 2000 5W30 (High mileage, extended drain, semi synth) been wanting to try it for a while, just got hold of some. Filter too of course, oversized it.

Put my hubcovers back on, they're fairly flat and only hole-y round the edge, figure they might do a tad better than nekkid steelies.

Changed out the thermostat, really wanted to go for a higher temp rating, but that was proving unpossible, couldn't find one to eyeball locally to check fit. Anyway, looked like my old one was sticking half open, which would explain why it took me a while to warm up.

Switched wheels around to get the very slightly off-true rim off the front and get rid of the annoying harmonic vibrations at certain speeds.

Sharpened up a spare rotor arm and switched it for the "knobbly" rotor arm I had in there, which I was rather unimpressed with. Think it idles smoother again.

Added turbulation devices... 15 degree angled inward pointing strips at the end of the roof rack rub strips on top, one strip top to bottom of the rear window, just in from the edge, but still in the blacked out area and one vertical strip about 1.25 inch ahead of rear light clusters. Wanted to put angled strips on the sides but ran out of the foam tape I was using. Thought I had more, but buggered if I can find it. Anyway, that's angled vortex inducers on top and single trip strips on most of the side area.

Also did some "bodywork" with duct tape, yes I need to get a couple of repair panels for the doors. But closing those holes off should help aero and stop spray from killing my window mechanisms.

Initial impressions from test run... oil seems like good stuff, motor revs freer, seems less draggy coasting in gear. Switch back to other rotor arm feels nicer too, smoother. Aero seems improved, seems to drop speed much slower from 80kph-60kph, hard to say for sure. Temp comes up a lot quicker, now holds at 2/5 gauge, and gets there promptly, and seems to cool quicker after standing at a light etc. One tire I have on might be a problem for FE, it was going a little soggy all the time in the winter, and I got fed up of it and swapped it off, but it had real good tread and my tires are about done. So it's on for now, but I am prolly going to have to top it up every day or two. Might settle down again, I've had tires do that, act like they have a real slow leak, but then behave again.

Anyhoo, gonna shoot for 30mpg... sounds high? Well I got 27 less a hair before, and that was with a doggy rotor arm, no hub covers, sticky thermostat and hwy drives in 25 min sections, not 2-4 hour solid runs like I will be doing. I'll be using my "E10 helper" cum hydrogen catalysation blend of course, 1oz TC-W3 and 16oz methanol in the tank, which may work even better now the thermostat is not flaking out.

Might report progress if I get online at all, (Supposedly get free internet at a couple of the cheapie motels, but not counting on it.)

Road Warrior

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

I think you got 30 MPG in the bag... Probably just changing the thermostat went a long way to reaching that goal...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

Well, up here in the Bruce Peninsular area, had to fill, came in at 25.5mpg .. it isn't quite the kind of driving I was expecting... I was doing great on the first leg into Toronto, did over 100 miles before the needle left full. But as I got further north here, the driving turned into more like "fast city" with lots of 30mph limits through small towns and folks driving at like 45mph in the 50 limit so I was jumping on and off the TC lockup all the time... I'd guesstimate that I've only been on TC lockup about 10% of the last 250 miles. Lots of hills too, but they didn't work out for hypermiling very well, the back slopes were either so shallow you had to stay on the gas, instead of gliding, or you were behind nervous nellie riding the brakes all the way, or you were descending into a town with a 30 limit, or they were so damn steep I was engine braking in bottom gear. Anyway, considering it a minor miracle I got as high as 25.5, been sitting in traffic a lot, some towns seem to have a traffic light fetish with lights every 200 yards for a couple of miles. Then there was a road under construction that was basically 10 miles worth of gravel... Then there was 3 miles worth of "pikes peak" type road up the Blue Mountain to see the view, 2nd gear and watch the temp gauge kinda stuff.

Got a long run home on more major roads though on this fillup, gonna try and fill it as soon as I get home to see what that gets, should be able to cruise at a decent speed IN TC LOCKUP HOORAY!!! 90% of the way home now.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
Old 08-22-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

The engine was probably DFCOing when you were engine braking down the hills...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
Registered Member

Aaargh, I need a better MPG measurement method... think I got a "Judas Pump" topped it off when I got home and the pumps were running at a trickle... real real slow, so probably have it overfull.. figure I should have seen 27-28mpg but it came in at 23.97, could be right though if that gas up in Midland was something funky. Of course I'll never know, don't buy gas up there usually.