Mazda's new fuel efficient engine.. - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here for important details on the Gas Cubby v3 Free Launch

Old 09-12-2017, 05:43 AM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
Mazda delivered the SkyActiv diesel; just not to the US. They wanted to meet emissions without the use of DEF. The engine meets at lest Euro5 and Japan regs without the fluid. Mazda kept trying and trying, but could never meet US regs while maintaining performance and efficiency.

Then VW got caught cheating with their diesels here.

Mazda might retry the diesel for the US with SCR and DEF now.

This is also the story of why the US didn't get a diesel Accord.
Yeah I didn't make it terribly clear but that's exactly what I was referring to, though I didn't know much about the Accord.

If I may be allowed to stray further from the subject, I think that speaks to why it might be a good idea to have some measure of standardization for automotive standards. If not through governments then perhaps through something such as ISO?

Old 09-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcp385 View Post
Yeah I didn't make it terribly clear but that's exactly what I was referring to, though I didn't know much about the Accord.

If I may be allowed to stray further from the subject, I think that speaks to why it might be a good idea to have some measure of standardization for automotive standards. If not through governments then perhaps through something such as ISO?
I don't hold Mazda for not delivering in this case. They honestly thought they were going to be able to pass EPA emissions as the engine was based upon what other cars, the Jetta, were selling here. This is an example of how VW's cheating did more harm than just more NOx emissions.

I do think Mazda might be trying the diesel for the US again, at least in the SUVs. Being late might be a good thing, because the diesels in some markets were experiencing high levels of fuel contamination in the motor oil early on. Then again, if this HCCI engine lives up to the hype, a diesel might not be needed.

After the first Accord IMA hybrid was cancelled, Honda had announced plans for a diesel model. They couldn't meet emissions with performance and fuel economy while just using a NOx trap. It was still early on with the stricter diesel emission limits, and the public was still resistant to the idea of having to add DEF.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote