Mineral Spirits- might not be a good additive - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
FE nut

Mineral Spirits- might not be a good additive

I think I may have found an additive to stay away from. I have been tring to overcome the effects of winter blend "crapoline". I recently started adding mineral spirits because I had heard somewhere that it is a very volatile liquid. I started having problems with my ECU going into open loop at random times. I think my O2 sensor is either damaged or toast. :-( Now I have to drive this tank out before I can even change the O2 sensor if it's bad. GRRRR!

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:16 PM   #2
Driving on E

Re: Mineral Spirits- might not be a good additive

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry
I think I may have found an additive to stay away from. I have been tring to overcome the effects of winter blend "crapoline". I recently started adding mineral spirits because I had heard somewhere that it is a very volatile liquid. I started having problems with my ECU going into open loop at random times. I think my O2 sensor is either damaged or toast. :-( Now I have to drive this tank out before I can even change the O2 sensor if it's bad. GRRRR!
Ouch. That's good to know

I'm still on my third tank of acetone. It's been well over a month since I last refilled. I'm guessing I'm not a good guinea pig because I rarely drive. Maybe when it warms up I'll start making trips to Nevada as test runs.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:07 PM   #3
FE nut

What's even worse is that

What's even worse is that this will pull my average down. :-( You may end up on top yet but I won't give up easily

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 12-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
Driving on E

Re: What's even worse is that

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry
What's even worse is that this will pull my average down. :-( You may end up on top yet but I won't give up easily
Eh, I'm sure my next tank will kill my average. I'm on winter blend too ya know.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

What's in Crapoline?

What is it in the Winter blend that's killing our mileage? Is it MTBE? I know every different metro area has a different "blend"...

RH77
Old 12-05-2005, 04:25 PM   #6
FE nut

I think MTBE was actually a

I think MTBE was actually a good additive as far as mpg goes. Then somebody decided that it was harmful to our health. They are thinking of replacing it with PIB. I wonder if they will go that route if they find out how well it works for mileage. I would like to see the research on MTBE. I wonder if it might have worked too well and BIG OIL was losing money. ;-)

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 12-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
*shrug*

MTBE still isn't outlawed in

MTBE still isn't outlawed in most states yet, but it is wicked bad for the environment. The Midwest is replacing it with ethanol right now, I thumb up that.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:57 PM   #8
Registered Member

I think where I live it's

I think where I live it's not the fuel but the weather that made my MPG go down. When I was getting 28mpg it was 80+ outside, now it's 60+.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:06 AM   #9
Registered Member

Larry, Think I stumbled

Larry,

Think I stumbled across a combo that might help your winter mileage.

3 ounces of acetone
2 1/2 ounces of Xylene
1 ounce of Ethos FR

Add this to every ten gallons of gasoline and try it out. You might have to adjust the acetone to what you were getting your best gas mileage with when you were using acetone. In my case three ounces did it for me.

Just started using this and mileage went to 21.5 on my F150. The best I could get in winter without anything was 19.0. The best in summer so far with acetone alone was 21. Will keep testing and fine tuning this combo and keep you updated but wanted to share with everyone out there.

jamescartagena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:03 AM   #10
FE nut

Sorry about the delay in

Sorry about the delay in responding. My wife just came home from the hospital late last night. She is doing great.:-) Thanks for the info. I think I'll order some Ethos and give it a try. Now, I have to hope that my local hardware store has xylene on hand.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn