Missing odometer data - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2006, 01:53 AM   #11
Registered Member

I too have the same issue with missing odo data but im too lazy to fix my tanks. Constant power to the VSS sounds interesting but im wondering if it would drain the battery when the car is not running. An on-off switch would be in order.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:11 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos
On my trip to work I go through 33 cycles of cod at an average speed of 55MPH, for a grand total of 7920 feet of distance (1.5 miles) not caught on my odometer.
Are you certain that the Odo isn't picking-up the distance? Sounds a lot like the Ferris Buehler effect. I'm thinking that despite the presence of a VSS, doesn't a cable from the transmission still rotate and capture the distance, despite the position of the ignition?

RH77

Old 08-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #13
Registered Member

Interesting question. Is the ODO on Hondas driven by a little electric motor? Or straight off the cable via small gears?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:20 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
I too have the same issue with missing odo data but im too lazy to fix my tanks.
Now that is lazy, since you only have 4 tanks to fix. The hard part is talleying up the number of times that you shut off your ICE on your drives. I just counted up the minimum number of times I FAS on a route, the places that I always FAS. When I am really striving for miliage, the number goes up from there, but I didn't include them because I don't always FAS at those locations on my drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
Constant power to the VSS sounds interesting but im wondering if it would drain the battery when the car is not running. An on-off switch would be in order.
I had the same question on the current draw of the VSS (could always test it with an ammeter). I guess the thing to do would be to connect it to one of the power feeds for the accessories, so it gets shut off along with the accessories, rather than along with the ICE.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:31 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Are you certain that the Odo isn't picking-up the distance? Sounds a lot like the Ferris Buehler effect. I'm thinking that despite the presence of a VSS, doesn't a cable from the transmission still rotate and capture the distance, despite the position of the ignition?

RH77
It doesn't. My odo shows down to tenths of a miles and when I do a 2 mile long ICE-off coast, it doesn't change. A rotating cable running from the transmission (or front wheel) to the speedo cluster is older automotive technology. My Honda just has a 3-wire electrical cable that sends pulses up to the speedo cluster, where a pulse counter advances the odo dials and a pulse to voltage converter produces a voltage that it sends to the speedometer to deflect the needle of the speedometer's meter movement.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos
Now that is lazy, since you only have 4 tanks to fix. The hard part is talleying up the number of times that you shut off your ICE on your drives.
Thats just it, my EOC is variable so anything I did would be a guess. Since I don't have hard data, I will just leave things as they are.

Someone asked in another reply if the ODO is really not registering. Well for sure the speedometer goes to zero and then pops back up when I key back on. Also, I tested the ODO on a long EOC and the trip ODO did not budge. The SuperMID also does not register at all when the key is in the ACC position.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:36 AM   #17
Registered Member

Interesting. My car's newer and has the cable & gears. So perhaps not "older" technology, but "antiquated"

I'm not surprised. Honda probably figured, "less energy to drive it electrically... no cable friction..."
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:41 AM   #18
Registered Member

Forgot to add. I now normally only leave the key in the 2nd position (ICE/speedo/odo off) for 3 sec, but when I first started experimenting with ICE-off coasts, at first I left it off for the entire coast as I was experimenting to see what was happening with the various components of the car (brakes, steering, etc.) while driving extended distances with the ICE off.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #19
*shrug*

I agree with basjoos, as simple solution to the problem would be to use a switched power source that's only on as long as the key is in, blah blah blah. I'd prolly be lazy and use constant power, like I do on the MID, but whatevs.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote