Registered Member

Mk2 "new" Mini to get 40 MPG

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/11/m...for-new-model/

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
good! i was thinking that those things should be getting much better fuel economy for a 1.6 liter...

Old 12-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

For such a tiny and light car, I still think that that mileage is low. I'm getting better on the highway with a 13 year old car with a bigger motor, an automatic transmission, and more weight. I don't see why these car companies make such inefficient vehicles. It would be very easy I think for a car the size of a mini to get 50 mpg with normal driving and without seriously altering the performance with some responsible engineering.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86
I'm getting better on the highway with a 13 year old car with a bigger motor, an automatic transmission, and more weight.
thats because honda>*
Old 12-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

f'n fanboys
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
Registered Member

It's get 35 mixed. Think what it could do in the hands of a experience hypermiler
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
Registered Member

Nice example of the potential benefits of a 6-speed manual transmission.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:32 PM   #8
Registered Member

A co worker has a Cooper, and a friend of his has an S. The co worker had an S as a loaner car. The mileage drops fast for the S, the car is built for performance.

Now, if they sold the base Minbin to us in the States (non Cooper) but BMW does not want to even entertain this.

-Emil Faber
Old 12-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #9
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spule 4
A co worker has a Cooper, and a friend of his has an S. The co worker had an S as a loaner car. The mileage drops fast for the S, the car is built for performance.

Now, if they sold the base Minbin to us in the States (non Cooper) but BMW does not want to even entertain this.
I'm still trying to figure out why auto companies are doing (or NOT doing) this. I'm sure that they perceive there to be zero market for smaller cars. Even honda won't sell the 1.3L engine in the USDM Fit.

I say special order them. I would have LOVED to have a 1.3L engine in my Fit.

At least Toyota is smart by selling the two door yaris in the US. It's the closest thing to what I really want. I understand that Honda has a 2 door Fit in Japan, but good luck getting one here.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I'm still trying to figure out why auto companies are doing (or NOT doing) this. I'm sure that they perceive there to be zero market for smaller cars. Even honda won't sell the 1.3L engine in the USDM Fit.

I say special order them. I would have LOVED to have a 1.3L engine in my Fit.

At least Toyota is smart by selling the two door yaris in the US. It's the closest thing to what I really want. I understand that Honda has a 2 door Fit in Japan, but good luck getting one here.
AC and Automatic go on most cars in the US, so there is a first negative on smaller motors. "Lack of power" is one of the most common complaints in cars these days, even complaints that the 2.4 in the PT Cruiser is weak....but the 2.2 in the Voyager twenty years ago was fine?

In fact, this is the reason that BMW cites for not bringing over the non Cooper spec Mini....along with power windows and the like being required for US sales.

Agreed on the Yaris, but this is the very reason I bought the Fit, no 5 door hatch Yaris in the states, and I would have considered the Scion xA if it were sold as a Toyota and that goofy Scion moniker.

Interesting on the two door Fit, I have never seen one in the European press, and a check of the Fit's website in mother Japan does not show one. It does show one 1.3l model with black mirrors and door handles, with silver steel wheels...the stripper version we will not see for sure:

-Emil Faber