Modifications to a new truck to increase MPG? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanengen View Post
Why not sell it, and just rent a large PU when you actually need it?? Get the diesel in the summer, and if the winters are SOOO bad that even a block heater and anti-gel won't work, then rent a gasser?? Heck...if you are only out for a few weeks a year...you can get one of the large diesel RV's...on the bus chassis, they get at least 6mpg and you can load all of your stuff inside, and save money on hotels! :-)

Even at $600/wk during the times you rent, you will be BIIIIG $$ ahead over paying for the truck, insurance, depreciation and maintenance. Then just use the savings to really have fun at the shows! Just seems like the "juice isn't worth the squeeze" on this one...
That's an even better idea, sell the truck for an efficient car, and sell the trailer too. Personally I never really saw the attraction to owning a travel trailer, it's just something you have to store, maintain, and pay for, for very little return. My own preference for travel is to get an efficiency apartment wherever I'm going, or a luxury hotel room if I can't get the apartment. In many places an efficiency apartment goes for the same as a modest hotel room. Then you don't even have to pay the fuel for a rented travel trailer. But, if you must have an RV, renting one and letting the rental company pay for the upkeep is better than owning your own and paying all that crap yourself. Yes, the downside is you are sharing a bed with a lot of other people, but cheap plastic fitted sheets on the mattress and your own sheets on the bed with a thin quilt between the plastic and sheet works just great.

Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #22
Registered Member

They ALREADY own it. They are using it to carry a large qty of artwork to shows, I'd bet.

Based on the age of the vehicle they replaced, they keep things a long time. Selling the truck and top, then renting an RV, and loading/unloading it a bunch of times each year for 15 yrs would be a lot of work and more expensive.

cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:17 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapybob View Post
They ALREADY own it. They are using it to carry a large qty of artwork to shows, I'd bet.

Based on the age of the vehicle they replaced, they keep things a long time. Selling the truck and top, then renting an RV, and loading/unloading it a bunch of times each year for 15 yrs would be a lot of work and more expensive.
They would have to figure out how much it costs either way. If it turns out that owning is cheaper than renting, then I stand by my suggestion either trading for a Duramax, or modifying the 6.0 with a Whipple, cam and headers. He could probably get a decent deal if he sold his current truck outright, then picked up an off-lease Duramax.
Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:59 AM   #24
Registered Member

Renting v. Owning

Ymmv. :d

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:06 AM   #25
Registered Member

Thanks to all....

Thanks for the advice, concerns, comments, etc. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply!

Regards, Valerie
cbartists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:01 PM   #26
Registered Member

The main reason I see that diesel is not an option is that they are expensive! Diesel trucks have come a long way since the 80s. I own a 95 Ford Powerstroke that gets 19MPG empty on long drives at 75 miles per hour with the cruise on (my goal is to get it to 24). When I have to drive it 7 miles in to town to meet my carpool it typically gets about 16MPG (it holds 14 quarts of oil that don’t have time to warm up). My friend gets 12 MPG with a 97 Powerstroke Ford that he pulls a 20ft gooseneck camper and a full size car trailer with 2200 pounds of ATVs not to mention the kids and the dogs.
High altitude and cold weather are not a problem, Dodge, Ford and Chevy all have turbos and intercoolers to build enormous low-end torque that compensate for high altitude. In cold climates you are buying winter-diesel has the additives to prevent jelling; this is what the big rigs and tractors run. In addition fuel additives can be purchased when going from a warm climate to a cool climate.

I understand that you have already own a truck and probably don’t want to spent the extra $8000,00 to upgrade to a diesel. As someone who is interested in Power and economy I suggest you start with upgrading the engine, transmission and gearboxes to Amsoil followed by and aftermarket exhaust. Remember in the 70s and 80s everyone added dual exhaust to their trucks? In most cases they gained power and economy. In your truck the exhaust is better from the factory than they were in the past; however, they still aren’t the best. Another mod is to purchase a programmer to reprogram your trucks computer. To purchase Amsoil you will have to go to their web-sight; I suggest you call Summit Racing or Jegs to see what they have available for programmers and exhaust. Understand that programmers and exhaust systems are expensive and it will take you many years to recoup your investment if you drive less than 10,000 a year.
Finally this Ford Powerstroke is my first diesel. I have been driving gas trucks, on the farm, since I was 12 and will never buy a gas truck again!

http://www.summitracing.com/

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10001_10002_-1

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...sel/index.html

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tso.aspx