Most efficient cruiser - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Most efficient cruiser

Figured this would be as good a place to ask as any, after spending a few hours trawling through the fuelly data. I'm in the market for a new used car. It's going to be used for my daily commute of around 100 miles each way, and practically all at 70 to 80 mph (both my home and work will be only a minute or so from the motorway and traffic is rarely heavy on this route). I want to make my purchase decision with fuel economy as the number one priority, as fuel will be by far my largest expense.

Anyone can tell me that if I want to spend less on fuel, I should just reduce my average speed to 60 mph. But let's say that for me, the extra time I would save every day by maintaining 80 mph is worth it. So which cars have the best MPG at this speed, compared to other cars?

My main problem is that most of the 'real world' economy figures that are available don't distinguish between the different types of car use very well (Fuelly is no exception). So while the average MPG for something might look like best in class, I've no way of knowing whether this still holds true at predominantly highway speeds.

Any suggestions that might match these criteria? I also don't want something too new, so that the depreciation doesn't exceed my fuel costs anyway.

Insp3ct0r4t0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
Registered Member

Welcome to Fuelly. This is a good start, I'm sure there are plenty of experienced drivers who have a similar criteria to yours who can help. You are right, there's no point t expecting to get anywhere near the "official" numbers, but they are handy for comparing cars to other cars. For a commute like yours, I'd personally avoid a hybrid as they are more for mixed/town driving where slow speeds and regeneration braking will boost economy. I'd recommend as small a car as you're comfortable with, if it's only you doing the majority of the driving. I'd also recommend a diesel, as these are far better on the motorway where they will barely be idling and do very little work. I'd recommend perhaps a VW Polo, Seat Ibiza, or Skoda Fabia, all basically the same car, with the 1.4 or 1.6 TDI as this is a very efficient engine. Failing that, Peugeot/Citroen make award winning diesels with the best effeicncy ratings in Europe, French cars are also very cheap to buy and run and very reliable these days too. Failing that, Renault make very economical comfortable cars too, thier 1.5 diesel is fitted in millions of cars, even new Mercedes-Benz.

It's a big choice, good luck with your search!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote