MPFI Swap CRX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-22-2006, 09:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

MPFI Swap CRX

Was reading online a bit and I am confused.

Will ANY Intake Manifold from any second gen. (88-91) CRX fit my 88 CRX? I noticed the Si has a 1.6l engine but mine is only a 1.5l. I noticed online that my CRX has a D15A1 engine and the HF has a d15B6.

I have a guy that has all the parts from an 88 HF that I would need for an MPFI swap (minus the ECU I beleive).

Would these parts be swappable with my car?

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by UfoTofU
Was reading online a bit and I am confused.

Will ANY Intake Manifold from any second gen. (88-91) CRX fit my 88 CRX? I noticed the Si has a 1.6l engine but mine is only a 1.5l. I noticed online that my CRX has a D15A1 engine and the HF has a d15B6.

I have a guy that has all the parts from an 88 HF that I would need for an MPFI swap (minus the ECU I beleive).

Would these parts be swappable with my car?
Yep, any will fit.

Remember though, you're going to be using a HF intake manifold, which is smaller than the SI manifold. I'm unsure if the computer will properly compensate for the difference.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

Would I be able to put in an HF ECU and then do the swap or do I have to maybe convert over to stick before doing so?

My CRX is currently an auto. I know that all HFs were only stick. Only model that came with an auto as an option was my DX. Does my having an auto bung up doing the MPFI swap?

Old 09-22-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by UfoTofU
Would I be able to put in an HF ECU and then do the swap or do I have to maybe convert over to stick before doing so?

My CRX is currently an auto. I know that all HFs were only stick. Only model that came with an auto as an option was my DX. Does my having an auto bung up doing the MPFI swap?
Nope. There were Auto MPFI civics... they were the 1990-1991 Civic EXs. You'll want a PS9 ECU.

Hopefully SVOBoy can chime in here as he might know how compatible the HF intake manifold is with the PS9/PM6 ECU.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:25 AM   #5
*shrug*

Hi, finally, time to chip in.

It's not a good idea, just because they're designed so differently, so just get a manual ecu and wire up the lockup solenoid outside of the ecu.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
Registered Member

Found another guy that has a complete MPFI swap from an 88 CRX Si.
Link:
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=2693

He is asking $130 for everything, wiring harness, resistor box, ECU, IM, injectors, distributor, etc.

Any questions I should ask him about the swap parts?

Old 02-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
Driving on E

For an MPFI swap, you really don't need the wiring harness. Modifying your existing harness is going ot be MUCH easier than swapping out your old harness for a new one.

I sold a complete MPFI swap for $100 shipped once. Then again, I just wanted to get rid of it.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
Registered Member

I would think that if your going to make the switch, that an intake manifold from an Si might be a better bet, than going with an HF. My recollection is that the HF will fit, but that it only feeds fuel to one valve on the intake, instead of to both valves, like it does on the Si. I have been considering making a similar swap on my 89 Wagon, and I wouldn't be excited, necessarily, to pay $130, but I wouldn't consider it to to be an unduly unfair price, for all of the items it looks like you'd be getting.

Is this unit close enough you could just pick it up, so you could avoid the shipping?

I believe SVOboy has the HF intake on his car, so he'd probably be a good reference for that. I believe Matt also should have a considerable amount of information, as well.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #9
*shrug*

I have the CX manifold, and I'd say go with an obd1 d15b7 manifold/setup, cuz, it's cheap, pretty, will match the head better in terms of air flow, and is not so power happy as the Si manifold, plus you won't need to run an injector resistor box. I got my set up for - money, as most of it was free and I sold other parts for more than I paid for them...

But yeah, go for it!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
Registered Member

I actually have a d15b7 IM. It looks as though it is missing some hoses and such though. I thought to be safe I would go with a whole setup from this guy minus the wiring harness to save a few bucks.

I could also then sell the IM that I do have and recoup some of the cost.