MPG Rally - Washington State - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-15-2007, 06:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

MPG Rally - Washington State

Enough of this talk already. I figured it's time we do something about exposing to the world that normal vehicles can indeed get great mileage without some mystery carburetor, or fuel in a bottle from auto-zone.

Each spring the city of Lacey, WA has an alternative fuel fair of which during the fair there is an electric car race on a closed course. http://www.ci.lacey.wa.us/events/upd...y_event_b.html

If I was to put together an MPG rally a-la-Craig Vetter style concurrently (and hopefully part of) the fair - how many of you might attend?
http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/470...37;20Main.html

Rules/Conditions:
*The rally would take place over a loop about a 100 mile set course on public roads.
*All must be street legal, registered, insured vehicles.
*Participants would fill up within 2 miles before the start and fill up within 2 miles of the finish.
*There would be a time window to keep speeds from dropping too low (this needs to reflect reality after all).
*Post run fuel reciepts would be turned in upon the finish for calculating mpg.
*This would be run on the honor system, so those that add fuel in the field will be held responsible by thier peers.

Classes:
Cars < 1800cc
Cars > 1800cc
Pickups/SUVs/Crossovers/Vans
Hybrid - All
Diesel - All
Motorcycles < 400cc
Motorcycles > 400cc

Invite the TDI folks, Prius, Insight, BetterMPG, etc. groups to participate. I figure we should have about 25 vehicles to make a reasonable showing.

So who is interested? Who wants to help?

bones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
It's only a 500 mile drive for me, so count me in!

Seriously, it sounds like a great idea, especially if we can get some of these tech-worshiping environmentalists (esp. the Hydrogen fuel cell crowd) off of their butts and get them to put their right foot where their mouth is.

Let me know how I can help.

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

I just thought it's time we get an event together.

Enough people are complaining about fuel prices but not doing too much about it. This would be a way to educate the public on how to actually beat the EPA ratings in thier existing vehicle that seem so absurd to many people. The general public is totally clueless in how to drive for maximum FE, most figure it's built into the vehicle and there isn't anything they can do about it.

It's intended to be low key, fun and showcase driving technique and the creative technology people use to get better FE.

This alternative energy fair draws a very receptive audience, as well as favorable press coverage. I just think it's a good opportunity that somebody (me I guess) should step up to do. But it aint gonna work without support. Hopefully there will be enough interest to get it started.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
So are you thinking of recruiting people at the event to try the course? A small portable compressor to (over)inflate tires would be a good thing to have on-hand.
I'll try to look around my area (Humboldt, North Coast) to see if there are any other people I could interest in the idea. I'm sure some of the local EV'ers might go, but I don't know about the ICE folks.

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
Driving on E

that's about a 13 hour drive for me... but I might be interested. Keep us updated.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnmeyer View Post
So are you thinking of recruiting people at the event to try the course? A small portable compressor to (over)inflate tires would be a good thing to have on-hand.
I'll try to look around my area (Humboldt, North Coast) to see if there are any other people I could interest in the idea. I'm sure some of the local EV'ers might go, but I don't know about the ICE folks.
My thought is to recruit from this group, the TDI folks, hybrid groups, scooter clubs, etc. It would need a jumpstart with at least a few from each group to have a showing of significance. Each group has a few dedicated FE geeks that need to make the event to be a success.

Good idea having a compressor (and a generator) on site. Mine has a 50' hose.

I would like to see an EV make the 100 mile route. I haven't seen one yet at the fair that has that range, but the more refined expensive ones claim that kind of range at speed.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

If you weren't totally on the other side of the country I'd be there!

If anyone decides to put something like this together in Virginia or in D.C. or the surrounding states, count me in... if there's any way possible you have my support however I can offer it (12V compressor, publicity, driving a car, talking up FE, you name it).

Rick
Old 11-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
Registered Member

That's not to far for me, so I would love to go! I would probably be a bit out of place in my 6 cyl BMW but that's ok
Old 11-29-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

Hey, a 5 series M getting 27.5 mpg is nothing to sneeze at!

May is just around the corner. I'll talk with the event planner to see if we can get a slice of the parking area to hold it, plan the route, run it a few times, mock up rules, ... stay tuned.

If we get the OK, we'll need everyones help in recruiting participants.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #10
Registered Member

I talked with the planner for this event. They are expanding the format to include energy efficiency in many areas to include home consumption. She was very interested in an MPG rally and will present it to the board in early January. She thought that it would fit in nicely with how they are expanding the fair.

So now there is lots of work to do to prepare a format, generate a vision for the planners and demonstrate interest. The aim is to educate the public, show how far the average Joe can beat the EPA ratings, and have a good time.

Wish me (us) luck. Please PM me if interested and please indicate what you can do to help organize this event or generate participant interest.