MPG suckathon - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
rikkitikkitakkiturvy is what I always say. congrats you. Just hope you don't suffer from the "gas tank wasn't all the way filled up" blues when you get lower than expected numbers on your following tank.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #22
Registered Member

haha cool.

i do have to let my chevette warm up for a minute or so. if i dont eith erA) falls on its face when i go to take off or B) trannys cold and wont let me shift easily(i sit in neutral with the engine running so its spinnin the tranny lube around)

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #23
Supporting Member

theclencher -

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
maybe it needs a basic tune-up too

that should always be the first item of business
Would it behoove Rikki to get to know his Camry? I go to saturnfans.com to find out things about my Saturn, but maybe a site like this may help Rikki :

Camry Forum - Gen 5 & 6 (2002-2006 & 2007)
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/fo...play.php?f=104

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:01 AM   #24
Registered Member

Tank was topped off on both tests, same station/same pump/2clicks

We'll see if it holds

checking out the Camry site Thanks!

Rikki
rikkitikkitavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:12 AM   #25
Registered Member

Hi rikkitikkitavi,

Good going on getting it up to basically 34.5 mpg!

What year Camry? They go way back, have been through quite a few versions. Set up an entry in the Garage so we can see what the car is. Or you can put some info in your sig.

I got away from the 2-click fill method. First click for me. I don't like the idea of having it super-full. For one, the fuel expands when it warms up - it was cold underground. If tank is super filled, you might lose fuel out the vent system.

I pump slowly, with the handle squeezed just a bit. Faster flow = more splashing inside your tank so more vapors. The pump's vapor-recapturing system sucks it back into the station's tank, but you pay for it anyway.

Tire pressure - I have no proof of this but I felt a real handling change when I crossed the 44 psi mark. I suspect it makes a difference in FE too. I now keep my fronts at 50 (cold morning, not yet driven) and the rears 2 psi less. I'd go there, unless your tires are very aged or questionable condition or your mother in law is always riding with you.

Warmup - yikes. Sorry you're hearing this so many times. You get zero mpg while warming up. If it won't run right without warmup then likely it needs some maintenance. See this thread re. fuel consumed at idle.
gallons per hour / RPM - no load

You didn't mention the regular tuneup stuff. Plugs, wires, all that. Maybe it's time?

Oh yeah - resetting the computer. Many cars after '96 (OBD-II) need 40 miles of driving for the computer to fully reset after being cleared. My mechanic friend occasionally has to take a car out for a 40-mi. drive after a needed reboot if the car needs an emissions test - it won't pass otherwise. Meanwhile, it's open loop operation which ignores the output from the O2 sensor.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #26
Registered Member

congrats on your latest fill-up. also, great choice to keep the camry.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #27
Supporting Member

brucepick -

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Hi rikkitikkitavi,

Good going on getting it up to basically 34.5 mpg!

What year Camry? They go way back, have been through quite a few versions. Set up an entry in the Garage so we can see what the car is. Or you can put some info in your sig.

It's a 2005 :

Hello I'm
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkitikkitavi View Post
rikkitikkitavi, I currently drive an 05 camry I4 At that I bought in June 05 with 4 miles on the clock. It has 76500 now! Yes I drive alot, I am self employed and travel all around Ohio to see clients. Over the past couple of months fuel has become my greatest expense, more than my house payment!!!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #28
Registered Member

Todays Fillup

Well a little dissapointing 75% freeway at 60-68mph

33.6Mpg

Based on the now installed scangauge, sweet spot on the freeway seems to be 65Mph......

Educate me on warm air intakes?

Wondering how a camry will look with pizza pan covers and skirts

Rikki
rikkitikkitavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #29
Registered Member

bruce,

when you pump gas slowly is there a significant increase of volume retained? pumped slowly my last fill-up to a disappointing mpg. wondering if more gas made it to my tank making my FE seem less.

there were other factors affecting my poor #s, but it would be interesting to know.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:22 PM   #30
Registered Member

I'm just going by what I think - no research or other hard info.
Though I did see a web page somewhere recently that recommended filling slowly. It also recommended filling in the a.m. as that's when the gas in storage tank is coldest, thus densest. If you buy in late afternoon / early evening you're buying warmed "expanded" gasoline but paying the same price per gallon.

I figure at a fast rate there's lots of splashing. I'd guess the fuel backing up the pipe makes the handle click off sooner. Also maybe a bit more randomly for different fillups, so your consistency might go down. And I'm guessing that the splashing makes more vapors that get sucked out by the vapor return line that most pump hoses have now.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote